Chapter 64

The black Bentley pulled in front of the station, and Marvolo gave Tom Riddle a wave goodbye. 

Gabriel was about to head out, but Marvolo grabbed his hand. 

"Sit down, Gabriel. I want to speak to you in private before you leave."

Gabriel grunted. What would Marvolo have to say, anyways?

Marvolo sighed. He had been thinking about Gabriel's outburst...and perhaps he had been too negligent of his son.  

Marvolo reminded himself that despite their differences, Gabriel was still his only legitimate heir. Somewhere deep inside, he felt sorry for the boy. It was his own flesh and blood after all. 

He must set those differences aside and try to repair their relationship so the boy would not lash out further. 

"Listen...Gabe. I know the last few weeks has been tough for you...it has been for all of us. And I'm sorry I haven't been spending time with you."

Gabriel shook his head. "Does it matter? You've found replacement already." 

"Tom isn't here to replace you, Gabriel. I brought him into the family to help you. You are my son. You are my only, true son. I want you to be my heir. I want to hand the keys to the kingdom to you one day, my boy....but you have made it difficult, I must admit." 

"You brought your bastard to shame me right after mum died! What do you expect?" Gabriel yelled. 

Marvel reminded himself to be calm. 

"Some things are best left not spoken, boy. Always remember who you are. You are a Delaciorux. You are my son.  Act like it." 

Gabriel laughed coldly. "What if I don't? Is that why he's here? Just in case I can't "act like it?"" 

Marvolo clenched his fists. "Don't push me. I love you, Gabriel , even thought you might not see it right now. So please don't push me to do things I don't want to do." He issued a final warning. 

Gabriel opened the door and without a glance back at his father, walked forward.  

............................................... 

"How have you guys been?" Sam asked, eyeing them, sensing that something wasn't quite right. 

Abigail didn't know where to begin...she wanted to tell someone the truth, but she couldn't find the courage to say it all aloud.  

Cassie searched Abigail's face for signs of weakness, or vulnerability. 

"Well...let me tell you about my summer." Sam began. Outside, Avery passed by the compartment, seeing Sam's face. He did not wave, he only walked past. 

Avery was still shaken from the events of a few weeks ago. He had taken part in an unspeakable atrocity. He was not like the rest of his friends, he could not just let it brush past.  

Sam watches the other boy pass by and became distracted. He noticed the melancholy on his face. He places his hand on the glass of the window, wishing it would melt and he could reach out and touch Avery.  

But the glass was still there, and always will be. 

...............................................

As the train pulled into Hogsmeade station, the students clamor off the train. Sam located Avery in the crowd, and gently tugged on his sleeve as they brushed past each other. 

He pulled Sam aside to the side of the station, where they were hidden from view.

"What do you want?" Avery snapped, his voice impatient. Sam felt slightly stung from the harsh tone.