Chapter 93

Heaven is where you are...

.............................................

As Gabriel stood there, looking at her, his heart bled. He pressed his hands against the glass, wishing that it would melt so he could reach her. 

She lied there perfectly still, her face covered in blood. 

"You know something, don't you, Gabe?" The Minister asked. Gabriel couldn't speak. He grabbed on to a chair railing for support.  

"Why?" Gabriel asked, tears rushing into his eyes. He told repeatedly himself that he didn't care about her anymore...but he couldn't keep up with that facade anymore.  "WHY?"

"It's gory, Gabe, It is cruel...but she wouldn't speak. She knew something, but she wouldn't talk. She refused to cooperate. She doesn't need to speak anymore. Her silence proves that she had something to hide."

"No one can get away with hurting us, Gabe. All who hurt us, all who disrespects us must be punished. You're a Delacroix. You have the blood of aristocracy, the blood of monarchs running through your veins. Mudbloods like her...their lives mean nothing to people like us. If it took a thousand people to avenge your mother, so be it. Remember who you are. Remember what happened to my only daughter. To your mother."

Gabriel was shaking all over. He took one look at his grandfather and realized that he never really knew who that man was. 

He was a stranger now.  

Gabriel had admired his grandfather always because of how different the Minister was from Marvolo...but at the root, they were no different. 

But her life means everything to me

Gabriel knelt by the Minister, his knees hitting the cold concrete floor. He had never before begged anyone in his life. 

"Grandfather, please. We have to save her. She-she's pregnant." 

"I know. I know she is. But what does it matter? Don't be soft, Gabriel. She killed your mother. She deserves everything that's coming and more." 

Gabriel thought about it for a second and decided that this was the only way now...He didn't care anymore. As long as he could save her, he didn't care. He knew the child wasn't his..he always knew...but he had no other choice right now. 

"The child-it's mine."

The Minister turned around sharply.  

"You're lying."

"I'm not. Before...I was afraid to take responsibility. I was scared to admit it. But it's mine. It's our blood, Grandfather."

"You're just lying to protect her."

"I've never begged you for anything in my life. I only have this one request, please. She's carrying my daughter. I can't watch this anymore. I'll do anything you want from now on, Grandfather. I'll go into the ministry just like you've always wanted. I'll do whatever you want. Please, for Merlin's sake, please, help her." Gabriel cried. 

"You're in love with her." The Minister realized, seeing the look of desperation in Gabriel's eyes. He knew that look...that was the look his daughter once had when she insisted on marrying Marvolo. 

That was the poisonous, foolish look that ruined everything. "You're in too deep, son." 

"I'm not. I don't love her. I just want to be a responsible father...You've always taught me to be a man. I'm trying to become one now." 

The Minister hesitated, his face crinkled in a dilemma. He saw the orphaned boy pleading on the floor, and his heart softened a little. Gabriel had his mother's eyes.