heart-shaped box

The next day, joe had brought Madison a few things that he thought might cheer her up. Of course with the help of iris and esme. He picked up some gummy bears, fuzzy socks, cookie dough ice cream and her favorite book. He drove to iris' apartment where Madison was.

"Hello ladies! Cute john deacon look alike has arrived." Joe announced as he opened the door and saw mandy barking. "Hey girl. Where's mommy?"

"In the kitchen!" Iris yelled.

Joe walked to the kitchen. The counters were covered in flour or sugar. A bowl of fresh cake batter was in iris' hands. She held out the spoon to joe. "Wanna taste? I'm thinking of adding some sprinkles, or maybe chocolate. What do you think?"

"I think you are the best damn baker. But you come in second. You should try my mom's cupcakes." Joe said.

"Which reminds me, she asked if we were busy next week. So we're going out for lunch. Her choice." Iris put down the bowl and started to clean up the counters. "Unless you are busy."

"I'm never busy for my mom. Where's madison?" Joe raised an eyebrow.

"In my room blasting grunge music for the past half hour that you were gone. She's also been crying to it." Iris casually said. "She also cried to someplace else by george harrison."

"Okay first of all, who doesn't cry when they hear george harrison? And second of all, why don't you comfort her?" He leaned against the counter.

"I think the part where she said 'leave me alone, I don't feel like talking' speaks for itself."

As iris finished speaking, the familiar chords to 'heart-shaped box' by nirvana were playing. "She eyes me like a pieces  when i am weak!" They heard Madison sing.

"Will you go talk to her?" Joe tilted his head at her.

"Not right now, I like this song."