Chapter 63 - Time to Face the Music

Start from the beginning

I don't blame you lady.

"Whatcha doin?"

I jumped, my drink flying out of my hand and all over my beach towel.

"Shit," I gasped. "Dammit Jared, I swear."

"You do indeed," he smirked as he crouched beside me.

"Go away."

"Drinking at 10 am?" He dipped his fingertips into the spill I was currently trying to clean up and licked his fingers. "Vodka and orange juice."

I stared at him, desperately wanting to reply with a remark about his alcohol knowledge but I refrained.

He shrugged. "At least you're getting your vitamin C."

Sighing, I began packing my stuff back into my beach bag. It was pathetic, my being out here to creep anyway, embarrassing even. I needed to leave immediately.

"Aw Al, I was just joking, come on." He stood up and blocked me from leaving. I anxiously watched Jesse over Jared's shoulder to make sure he wouldn't see me.

"You're hovering." I swung my bag over my shoulder and placed my hand on my hip.

His mouth opened and closed. "Well," he scratched the back of his head.

"Jar, I'm fine."

I turned on my heel and began walking away. He jogged up beside me and nudged me with his shoulder.

"I was actually coming to see if you wanted to go surf."

Glancing suspiciously at him from the corner of my eye, I stopped.

"I don't have a board."

Suddenly he held his keys up in front of my face. I shoved them away and sighed.

"I don't want to surf here though."

"Down by Wright's Rock?" He grinned.

"Mr. Wright would kill us," I began walking again.

Jared matched my stride. "Maybe you, but he loves me." He smirked.

Knowing he wasn't going to be letting up anytime soon, I nodded. With a grin, he clapped his hands and grabbed me by my elbow and yanked me to the right. He began yapping away about how incredible his date with Demi went last night, which I was incredibly happy about, but also not in the mood.

By the time we reached his jeep, I was wondering how I had put up with his incessant chatter my entire life. Did he even realize I wasn't listening?

I shut the door as he started the jeep. I was nodding my head, agreeing monotonously as I secretly watched Jesse out in the ocean with one of his students. The mother was hovering. I scoffed.

"What?"

I turned to Jared, shocked out of my trance. "What?" I echoed.

He narrowed his eyes and began to reverse. "What's up with you?"

"Listen, I had a tramautic event recently." I crossed my arms and sunk lower into my seat as he pulled out onto the road back home.

"Uh huh," he murmured suspiciously. "You and Jesse okay? I thought you two lovebirds would be all over each other before you left."

I cringed and lowered my sunglasses back into place.

"We decided it was best if we stayed friends." Dick.

"Ah Al, I'm sorry." He turned into our driveway and placed it in park. He turned in his seat to look at me.

"For what? We're cool, Jar." I shrugged and shoved the door open to go grab my board.