Chapter 29 - You're dating Adam Hawkins?!

I bit off a chunk of my carrot and set the bag in the sand next to me as I watched Jesse coach a group of guys on something out in the water. He was yelling at the kid on the far right for something. The kid probably choked on water again. I'm actually very surprised Jesse hasn't sent the poor guy over to my group yet.

"So, how old are you again?" The girl next to me asked.

I swallowed my carrot and raised an eyebrow as I eyed her up and down. She had short brown hair, brown eyes and whether she wanted me to know it or not, I knew she had a tattoo on her rib that she had been clearly trying to hide. I was wondering more about how she got it at such a young age, not so much about the just having a tattoo thing.

Who am I to judge? I have a tattoo.

When she walked over to my group, she was obviously the castaway. She was one of those girls that didn't try to be pretty, but she had this natural beauty to her. She would definitely grow into it someday and the other girls around her knew it. It broke my heart and I was completely ready to take her under my wing...until she opened her mouth.

Smartass, that one. Entitled little brat that takes her insecurities out on everyone and is mean because it's her only defense, or so she thinks.

After she called me an old bitch who only wanted to eff the other surf instructor, I nearly killed her. I actually lunged at her, but Jesse ripped me back away from her. Then he flirted with her. Flirted with her!

For some odd reason unbeknownst to me, she has stuck to me like glue ever since, despite how absolutely rude she has been to me. It's like she hates me, but I'm the only one that'll stay near her. Because it's my job.

"22, what are you, like 14?" I replied. I crossed my arms over my knees and rest my chin on my forearm. Jesse was standing behind one of the older guys in the group, ready to give him a helpful push to catch the wave.

I was right earlier, it was definitely going to be a long day. We've only been at the beach for two hours at this point and we have barely accomplished anything. He just recently sent his group into the water after realizing he would have to recap the basics, even more so than I was going to have to with my group of true beginners.

At least he was being asked more realistic questions about surfing whereas I was being asked if being bit by a shark was something they should be concerned about because they had plans later. I think, if I remember correctly, that girl's name was Leah. Her best friend in the group was Katelin, who asked if I step on things in the ocean very often. The sourpuss next to me, her name was Rae, which I would have complimented her on because that's a cool name, but she made fun of mine so I quickly dismissed that.

"No, I'm 15," Rae snapped back.

I sighed, very badly wanting to make a comment back, but I realized I'm actually supposed to be the coach here.

"So you and the dude huh?" she asked. I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye and laughed.

"Jesse? No," I murmured.

"Good, because Katelin and Leah are definitely going to take him away tonight," she responded.

I lifted my chin off of my forearm to look at her and smirked.

"Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised," I said. I dusted the sand off of my hands and grabbed my bag of carrots, digging in for another one to curb my growing hunger.

Rae watched me eat, eying me very cautiously. She was chewing on her fingernails, a habit that has always bothered me. Lissa used to do it when I first met her and I used to always threaten her, saying I'd put New Mexico hot sauce on her fingers so she wouldn't bite them if she didn't stop. It never worked, but I still tried because it drove me up the wall. It was such a disgusting habit. People touch your hands and the things that you touch and there are so many germs.