Chapter 7 - Mr. I Do Drugs and Drink My Sorrows Away

"You know what I miss the most?" Jared asked. He was laying belly up on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I was laying on my stomach, staring over the edge of my bed at the white poof balls on the ground.

"What?" I said, my voice deeper from the pillow pressing on my throat.

I heard him swallow before sighing. "That stupid look he would give me when he was annoyed with me," he said and flopped over onto his side, grabbing a pillow to hold.

"Yeah," I murmured. "You got that pretty often." A small smirk played on my lips when he lightly smacked my back.

"Sorry, I wasn't a goody two shoes."

The sound of his nails moving up and down his jeans cut through the silence.

"I wish I wouldn't have gotten so mad at him for not letting me go to London," I murmured.

"You were a brat about that," Jared accused. I narrowed my eyes before sitting up and glaring at him.

He held his hands up. "Hey, I'm just saying," he laughed.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "How can you laugh about that?" I spat.

His laughter silenced as he tilted his head and stared at me.

"Al, if I don't laugh..." he trailed off and grimaced before shrugging. "I don't know, I'm not sure I could handle it without laughing."

I looked away from him, unable to stay under his watchful blue eyes. "I feel guilty anytime I feel even an inkling of happiness," I admitted.

Jared took a deep breath and sat up. He patted my back, awkwardly. We both sighed at the same time.

"Do you want to go get a coffee?" he asked.

I stayed silent for a few moments, debating whether or not I would want to be seen with him in public after what he did. I finally nodded, not caring about the ordeal.

When we arrived at the coffee shop he went inside and got us coffees. I sat on a bench outside and stared off at some seagulls dive bombing the water.

"One regular coffee," Jared emerged from behind me, a coffee in hand. I inwardly cringed and he must have seen something change in my expression.

"What?"

"Nothing."

He gave me a stern look, similar to that of Dad's which took me by surprise.

"Alice, what?" he asked again.

"I haven't gotten that in forever," I said, pursing my lips, not wanting to point out the fact that we have changed in the last two years...a lot.

"Oh," he glanced at his own and back at me. "What do you order now?"

"Umm," I chewed on my lip. "Anything decaf really," I murmured.

He furrowed his eyebrows, confused.

"I haven't had caffeine in awhile," I explained and glanced off into the distance. "But thank you."

He sat down and scratched his head. I heard him reach into his pocket and something made a weird sound. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye behind my sunglasses and saw him lighting a cigarette. I raised an eyebrow and cleared my throat.

He looked at me, cigarette in mouth.

"Oh, sorry," he said, taking it out of lips and blowing smoke out.

"You used to scold people for smoking," I remembered suspiciously as he took another long drag.

I resisted the urge to cough from the smell.