53; the solemn certainty

Start from the beginning

Arthur looked up at him unsurely, then stifled a sigh with a shake of his head. "No," he replied. "It's much more complicated than that...I've put her through so much shit. She isn't too happy about it, and I pissed Isolde off. The damage can't be undone."

"Well, have you tried to take another shot?"

"I did. Almost cost my life; don't ask."

"Oh, okay," said Archer, jerking his shoulder. "But if you did–I mean, I don't take sides on this one–why the hell is Paige now with Owen? 'Cos the last time I checked she was pretty eager about knowing what was going on. She cares about you. That was right before your breakup when we talked about you and mom."

"What d'you mean?"

Archer stared at him shortly. "She asked about why you weren't at the funeral. Didn't give away much but she knows what happened to mom and us. She barely had scratched the surface but you get the gist."

Sighing, Arthur gazed beyond the glass panel. The chandelier inside Archer's office were too bright not to let their reflection mix among the city lights beyond them. They looked like they were phasing. "That's better. It's pointless if she tries to dig enough further. She'll only open a can of worms. 'Sides, she's with Owen now. I don't fight wars when I know I'm already losing even before it begins. The moment I knew who she really was, I realized that I'm trying to aim so high. I don't deserve her, Archer. And in return, I broke her all because I felt inadequate. Showed her I was incapable of greater things; my pride just outweighed my best intentions, but it's too late to turn it all back around now."

"I don't think it's too late," his brother said, after a long pause, and Arthur's eyebrow shot up at the comment. "She still has this look on her face when she hears your name."

Arthur's words were sewn shut. But then he remembered one thing, making him shake the idea off his head almost instantly. "I know her, Archer. She's not one to play feelings."

"Right." Archer then fell silent, only ever engaged with nursing down his coffee, his legs crossed in a noble sort of way. When Arthur had been living in his mansion before, and with the help of observation from some of Archer's friends, he'd developed certain manners that would fool anyone that he was one of them. "I know about your side jobs."

He almost snorted in amusement. "'Course you do."

"You don't have to go there, you know? You can work with me."

Rather uncomfortable, Arthur crossed his arms. "I can. But I won't."

"But why? Why would I let you go back to the salt mines when you can have a better job under my wing? If you don't want me to cover your finances then at least work alongside of me. "

Arthur dragged a deep breath. For him, it was a complex matter to explain, but he poorly argued, "We don't wanna involve nepotism here."

"It wouldn't be nepotism if I treat everyone fairly. Just think of it as if you really got the job not because of me but because you worked your ass off to get to where you wanna be. What d'you say?"

"No."

"What?"

Arthur let out a breath, his eyes shut as if he was in pain. "I will...but all in good time, Arch. I have to set things straight first and I wanna work on my own."

"Sure. But aren't you having a situation with the loaning company?"

"I'm working on it."

Archer repressed a sigh of brotherly concern. "You could've just asked me, you know?"

"Arch–"

"I'll take care of it," Archer said with a sense of finality, and that eventually made Arthur let out a breath of resignation. He really needed the money now.