The intense purity of the soul amazes me when I turn my hand around and watch as the soul latches onto me before my energy starts engulfing it, making the soul shrink in size until it completely disappears inside of my palm.

Ecstasy overflows my entire being, making me close my eyes and enjoy the brief moment before it inevitably disappears.

Yes, thousands of souls are being absorbed by me each second, but actually being able to take them from still living beings is something completely different. That's one of the main reasons I'm staying here.

I calmly watch as the nurses and family members start rushing in the room, frantically trying to bring the man back to life.

A little child is helplessly sniffling in the corner, presumably the dead man's son, while his mother is senselessly latching on the bedsheets, screaming her lungs out with tears dripping down her face.

She still can't take in the fact that her husband is dead, but the vital signs monitor says it all.

I hum and shake my head before I walk towards the little boy cowering in the corner, crouching in front of him and placing my elbows on my knees for support.

The little kid notices me and lifts his head, tears silently streaming down his chubby cheeks as he observes every inch of me with his large doe eyes. I bring my finger to my lips and show him to stay quiet, winking at him afterwards.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. You still have a long way to go, so be strong and overcome everything that tries to break you. Take good care of your mum for me, alright?" I gently trace his jaw with my finger, my thumb brushing over his soft cheek to wipe away the tears.

"You aren't human, right?" The little boy sniffles, his lower jaw trembling as he tries to fight back the tears.

"I'm not, but only you can see me now. Be there for your mum, she needs you now. Go and hug her," I murmur, tilting my head to the side and giving the little boy a genuine smile before he stands up with a loud whine, running towards his mum and hugging her legs tightly.

He starts sobbing in the fabric of her jeans, catching her attention as she falls to her knees and embraces him, nuzzling her head in his small frame and stroking his soft hair as she tries to recollect herself.

Right at that moment, I snap my head to the side and stay still, not moving a single muscle in my body as I'm processing the feeling that shot through me just a second ago. No way. Absolutely no fucking way. This can't be happening again.

How is this even possible? Am I starting to imagine things? I'm certainly not, this energy is definitely real and utterly terrifying. I have to see this with my own two eyes or else I'll believe that something is seriously wrong with me.

Standing up slowly, I turn around and walk to the patient with pneumonia, the people inside the room still not being able to sense my presence except for the little boy who isn't paying attention to me at the moment.

"You've had a good life, grandpa. Time for you to go." Breathing in deeply, I place my hand on the man's chest and pull out the soul from his body, watching as it disappears inside my grasp, causing yet another rush of energy to wash over me.

"Mum, look! He said I should take care of you!" The little kid clutches his mother's shirt and points his finger at me, his mother glancing at the direction where he shows her. She's looking straight through me, not being able to see me or feel me.

"There's nobody there little one, you're just imagining things." She sighs and shifts her attention to the nurses who are now swarming over the pneumonia patient, trying to save his life as well.