What The Hell

[Edited July 25, 2022]

When Nico had gotten back from lunch with Thalia, he was greeted with a hostage situation. He had shadow traveled to his room and heard shouting and gunshots downstairs. Nico snuck out into the hallway next to the stairs where he could hear things better.

"So, you expect me to believe that your newest son isn't here? Where is he, then?" An obviously amateur crook complained.

"I don't know, he does this sometimes. What is it you were saying you wanted again?" Bruce asked. He didn't sound worried in the slightest.

"Oh, uh... money! That's right. I want a hundred thousand dollars!" Bruce seemed to consider this. Attempts like this were made a lot and we'd all gotten used to them by now.

"How about no. You've just used up all your bullets, for one thing." He pointed out. There was some shuffling and the sounds of a magazine being slipped out as the robber checked to see how many bullets he had left. There came a huff that said Bruce had been right and the dude did not stick around after that.

"Everything ok in here?" Nico asked as he came in the room.

"Yeah, some low class wannabe criminal was trying to hit the big leagues," Dick said, untying himself.

"He didn't even tie us up very well. You could have done better." Damian told him, which he figured was meant as a compliment. He settled down at the kitchen bar and neatly folded his hands on the table.

"Thanks, I think."

"Did you learn anything from Thalia?" Bruce asked, brushing invisible dirt off of his suit. He leaned his back against the counter, watching him closely. Though that wasn't anything new. He always watched everyone closely.

"Nothing that I didn't already know. Leo is almost done with his ship and then things will be getting pretty busy for me for a while." 

"Do you think you have a chance in this war?" Jason was examining the rope and frowned in distaste. He was probably offended that the guy hadn't even been a threat. He had been in the pantry the whole time since he wasn't supposed to be alive. 

"Slim to none." Nico admitted, "but don't worry, those are usually the odds."

"What happens if you fail, again?" Tim spoke up. He took the seat next to Damian, leaning as far away as he could from the boy without leaning on the next chair over. Dick sat on top of the counter, knowing that Alfred wasn't around to make him get down. Bruce was too distracted by what the middle child was saying to care about something like that.

"The end of the world as we know it. Possibly the end of humanity." The son of Hades sighed. He didn't really want to think about that option right now. We couldn't fail.

"How about this: you don't fail," Jason suggested unhelpfully.

"Oh, ok." he agreed, as though the thought had just crossed his mind. Jason gave him an annoyed look before ruffling his hair. Nico swatted him away in protest.

What affects your chances of winning?" Bruce asked.

"A lot of things. We have to assemble the seven of the prophecy. I think we have four of them, including Annabeth. I'm willing to bet that Percy is the fifth. I have no idea who the last two are. Hera will be probably ensure that they all end up together somehow."

"Who are the first three?" Dick cut in.

"Piper Mclean..." Bruce cut me off this time. His eyebrow was raised in surprise.

"You mean the daughter of Tristan Mclean? The actor?" Nico nodded in agreement. He had overheard Drew talking about her and that had come up.

"Yeah, her. She's a daughter of Aphrodite. I don't think Tristan knows, though. I overheard her telling him that she was doing arts and crafts."