June 26th

[Edited July 29, 2022]

[June 26th]

  Richard Grayson's POV

  "I'm just really worried about him, Walls." Dick laid back on his duvet and stared up at his ceiling. Wally had been coming over practically every day since Nico had left and Nightwing really appreciated his presence. Wally was his oldest friend and the only member of the team who know who he and his brothers were. Because of this, he'd grown to rely on his support and advice.

  The pair had been friends since the beginning-- long before everything got complicated. Then came Red Arrow and Aqualad. They would later find Connor and be introduced to Miss Martian and Artemis. Even then it had been simpler. Simpler missions, simpler adversaries, and simpler lives.

  That was before all the lies, secrets, espionage, and secret evil villain organizations who tried to plot their downfall. Before Jason, Tim, or Damian. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy his brother's company, he just found himself missing the days of the original six. When he was still his parent's son.

  "He knows how to fight, Dick. We all saw him beat your record at the cave and then take out all those monsters at the cemetery. Nico seems capable. I'm sure he's fine." Richard hadn't mentioned the part about it being a suicide mission. He couldn't bring himself to voice it, though if that was for Wally's benefit or his own, he couldn't say.

  The redhead in question was laying back on the couch and watching his friend with concern. The truth was that he didn't know much about Nico, having only really talked to his Ghost persona. At the time, he hadn't even known that Ghost and Nico were the same person. He'd only been read in once Nico had started down the path of joining the team, which hadn't lasted long before he'd disappeared entirely. It hadn't given Wally time to get to know the consultant, much less get an idea of what the boy was like once he took the mask off.

  "I know, but I'm just worried that he's in over his head." Dick sat up. His eyes caught a glimpse of a sketch Nico had done of him on his gymnastics rings. He had caught the movement so well. He could have had a promising career as an artist if he had so chosen.

  "What makes you say that?" Wally frowned. Dick shook his head, he didn't want to get into it. Wally was unfazed by his unwillingness to share, having grown used to being kept at arm's length when it came to Dick's family. He of all people could understand how complicated family could be.

  "I'm going to check Long Island street cameras again." Dick moved to get off the bed.

  "But you've already checked them a dozen times! And Tim is down there right now looking. He'd let you know as soon as he found something. Even Batman is out looking for him! Take a break. You'll be no help to Nico if you're too tired to function." Wally protested. Dick doubted that Batman was out looking tonight. Bruce was probably on some dismal rooftop brooding, but that didn't change the sentiment.

  Dick rubbed his hands through his hair and sighed deeply. He hated to admit it, but Wally had a point. He hadn't been sleeping or eating hardly at all these last few days and he could feel his body aching in protest. It was like he was back in his rookie days again. A little orphan with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

  "How could we have let this happen? How did we miss the signs?" Dick stood and started slowly pacing in front of his bed, "I mean surely there must have been some signs, right? He had clearly been planning this for a while."

  "Dick, seriously. You need to relax. He obviously didn't want you to know. He's smart like the rest of you--" Wally started.

"Yeah, too smart for his own good," Dick mumbled under his breath.