Chapter 27: First day of the soiree

Start from the beginning

"Alice

"Alice." I waved back happily, thank goodness she was here, although it is so picturesque here, I was still really nervous. They lace literally stunk of a social class way above mine.

"Milady, Edna and I will go and unpack your clothes into your room now, and we will see you again later in the day." Said Agnes. She and Edna curtseyed and then left with the butlers who were carrying my luggage. I then walked over to the Marcellus's who were having their trunks loaded off of their magnificent copper carriage.

Alice and I embraced warmly. "You look beautiful Alice!" I said, looking over her one more time.

"Thank you! And you do too." She said kissing me on the cheek.

"And me... Don't I look beautiful!" Pouted Cornelius as he stuck his head around the carriage door, then stepped out so he could give me a full view of his suit. He wore a wonderful copper coloured garment with a rich copper threading in it. His undershirt was full of white ruffles and he looked very princely in his attire.

"You look so hot!" I replied and laughed. This was a term I had used often with him to describe the other soldiers when I was staying at their mansion, he thought it was the weirdest adjective for the beauty he had ever heard and always laughed when I said it.

"So strange..." He chuckled as he shook his head at me.

"Ah! Lady Riley is here!" Boomed Lord Umfrey joyously, as he saw me.

"Good morning Lord Umfrey!" I replied happily. He nodded contently and rubbed his potbelly happily.

"Oh, Riley!" Cried Lady Eleanora as she hugged me tightly. "We have missed you so much at the house! When are you coming to visit us?" She whined.

"Darling, Miss Riley is a Lady now, and has many important matters to attend to all by herself since she doesn't have a husband... we cannot interrupt her busy schedule by asking for visits." Said Lord Umfrey gently to his wife. I wanted to thank him for explaining my difficult situation but was a little miffed that he thought it was because I didn't have a husband.

"I have been quite busy lately..." I told her.

"Indeed! Your healing potion is marvellous, your potion replaced the potion we used to use at the Knights Order and it is many times better. I'm sure some of the knights from the Order will want to meet you tonight." Smiled Cornelius.

"Yes, they most certainly will!" Exclaimed Lady Eleanora. "What a perfect time to find you a husband!" She said excitedly.

"Mother, I think Riley prefers her independence..." Suggested Alice when she saw my horrified face, I was nineteen, I didn't want a husband.

"Well, if she stays independent for too long she might end up a spinster." Said Eleanora. "By the end of the soirée, I will have found you the perfect husband, my dear." She said squeezing my cheeks.