An urgent pounding at the front door jolts me from my sheets. Heart sent into a sprint, I snatch up Mom's liquor and rush out into the living area. I set it on the counter where I found it and go to open the door, praying she hasn't brought some douchey guy over.

Bracing for the cold, I swing the door open. Only...the person standing there isn't my mom.

It's Lucas.

"Oh! H-hi," I stammer and immediately comb my fingers through my hair. I mentally cringe at the weathered t-shirt and shorts adorned across my figure. Then I scold myself for even caring about how I look.

"H-hey." His teeth chatter and he hugs himself against the falling snow. "Can I come in?"

"Of course!" I step back and allow him to take shelter from the cold.

In the few seconds that it takes him to get inside and shed from his coat, two states of mind battle for control of my next decisions. The old Amber wants to snap at Lucas and demand answers. The idiotic, lovesick Amber wants to forgive him and put everything behind us.

"W-what brings you here?" I try to sound lighthearted and carefree. Lovesick Amber wins as the old me is banging against a glass window, demanding me to skip the small talk and question him.

Lucas releases his disheveled chestnut hair from his dark blue beanie. Mesmerizing green eyes hold mine, but with great sadness burrowed within them. Pink lips part and he huffs.

Are you here to deliver the final blow? Tell me that you love Pepper? That we shouldn't be together? We agreed that he wouldn't come around me unless he was sure of his feelings and could give me a true answer. I guess now is that time. I brace for impact as he speaks his next words, soft and hesitant. "I wanted to talk." He rubs his smooth jaw and licks his lips.

"Okay." I fold my hands in front of my chest. "Do you want to sit?"

"No. This shouldn't take long." There's not enough time to prepare as he closes the space between us. His eyes bore into mine and his cold fingers surround my wrists. My breath is lost as he says, "Amber, I've been such an idiot. I made such a huge mess of things when I should have seen my answer was right in front of me the whole time."

My heart thuds against my ribcage. I try to swallow my uncertainty, but it comes right out when I ask, "W-what are you saying?"

Lucas cups my cheeks and leans in too close for my stupid heart to handle. "It's you," he murmurs. "It's always been you. I love you, Amber."

I breathe out a laugh and all of the pain I felt before flees from my body. I forgive him. I forgive him so damn fast even though the smart part of my brain is telling me not to. So he does love me. I smile and place my hands gently over his, attempting to warm his fingers. Maybe he just made a mistake.

I made him wait five years. This is nothing.

"You do?"

"I've always been in love with you, Amber. I just let my stupidity get in the way of seeing that. I want to be with you. I've been crushing on you for five years. There is no other girl anymore. It's just you and me."

Bliss warms and caresses my hollow spirits. I shouldn't feel as happy as I am right now, but I do. It's uncontrollable. No one has ever told me they loved me before. To hear it from Lucas brings me more happiness than I can handle.

"I-I think I love you too." I laugh and move closer to him.

"Really?" His brows rise and the ghost of a smile traces along his lips.

"Yes. I've been so afraid of it, but it's okay now. Now that you know what you want." Even if you were kissing Pepper yesterday. Maybe something happened to make him realize that he really wanted me all along.

Limerenceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें