07 | r e g r e t s

REGRET CONSUMES ME the moment consciousness nudges my slumbering mind

REGRET CONSUMES ME the moment consciousness nudges my slumbering mind. Cotton bed sheets slide from my naked body and towards the source of heat lying next to me.

Nonono!

It was a dream. Yesterday was a mere dream brought upon by my reckless drinking. Nausea curls in my stomach, and it has to be from the hangover.

There's no way I had sex with Lucas yesterday.

Fear crawls over my bones and paralyzes them. I am trapped in the shell of my body, but my mind runs rampant with prayers.

Please. Please. Please.

A deep groan rumbles in my ear. Lucas' groan. He lays a heavy arm around my waist and tugs me closer to him, to his naked body.

My eyes spring open. The slumbering face of my best friend lies right next to me. Bed head lays over his eyes and gentle breaths slip through his parted pink lips. I distinctively remember latching onto those lips multiple times last night.

Nonono. A sinking feeling burrows deep into my stomach and bile rises in the back of my throat.

I slept with Lucas.

"Hey," I hiss and shift as far away from him as I possibly can without falling out of bed. I yank his sheets over my breasts and sit up. Twisting my head left and right gives me bits and pieces of evidence of what happened between us last night.

Empty solo cups are tipped over on his nightstand; the alcohol that had tainted my system. My school clothes are discarded in the corner of the room, and then, two sets of his clothes rest in a pile next to the bed.

I can't believe we did this.

"Lucas!" I hiss and push his shoulder.

He groans again and gives me a groggy scowl. "Wha?"

"Wake up," I urge through gritted teeth and push him again with sweaty, panicky hands.

He begins to stretch, defined muscles flexing with the effort. Warmth flips through my stomach and I avert my eyes as if I've never seen his athletic build before.

"Fuck," Lucas whispers. Green eyes pierce mine as he comes to the realization I had just a few seconds prior. He sits up and drives his fingers through his bed head before hunching over and staring down with wide eyes. "We did not."

"We did!" Tears spring to my eyes as we confirm the reality of it. "That was a huge mistake."

Lucas' eyes narrow for a brief moment before he nods. "Y-yeah. We were probably still half-drunk. And you're technically a minor so-"

"Luc, the fact that I'm seventeen and you're nineteen is the least of our worries at the moment."

Pink hues stain his cheeks and he scratches the stubble along his jaw. "Of course, I mean-"