Chapter Twenty Seven

Shaahid sat like a ghost on the bed, staring at his phone.

A long message lit the entire screen.

' I wish I could send a letter again. But did not see Zafar in a while.

Abbu got my mind. He's finally getting me married by hook or by crook.
Isn't it funny how I was talking of getting hitched just recently, and now it's happening for real?

Maybe Abbu too has realised that my increasing weirdness at 33, will get me in immense trouble. Me, or him? Let's not talk about that.

Three days to now, people from Chittagong are coming to see my face, body, chest, eyes, booty. They'll mark me out of 10 and then choose or unchoose me. Abbu is confident I'll be chosen.

I too am. Because, this time I'm in. With all my will. My wait of fifteen years finally ends.

You are not invited to my Nikah.

No more yours,
Alvira. '

Shaahid dialed her number.
Unanswered.

He switched off the phone.

And shouted after sometime,

" Sophiaaaa, Rubinaaa .....

I need help! "

______

10, Mochipara Road, Lalan

Shaahid matched the address and stood before a huge mansion under renovation and construction.

He pressed the bell.

After a long time the door opened, but instead of a human, a shoe came flying that missed its target.

A woman's shrill voice was heard,
" For the millionth time, I don't need condoms, I sleep miles away from my fat husband!!  "

With this a tiny kid who looked like a mouse and had probably opened the door, ran outside to collect the shoe.

Dumbstruck, Shaahid stared at the kid who ran back inside and vanished but the door remained open.

" Ermm.. I am not a condom seller madam. I am Adnan's sir's employee. A teacher. Can I come inside please? "

Silence for sometime. Then a very tall woman who looked more like an ostrich came out.

" Oo..
I'm sorry. These salespersons are so nagging. They don't even try to understand that every human doesn't need everything.

Go upstairs. He's in the first room near the staircase. "

Shaahid was relieved.
At least the wife of the hippo was not devastating.
No doubt she slept away from her husband.

Adnan Sami lay on the couch and munched chips.

He was terrified to watch Shaahid walk in.

" Aaaah....
Why are you here?
Look, I really don't think that making my uncle talk is a very good idea.

He's sleeping peacefully in his room and doesn't even want to return to this talkative world. I swear. "

Shaahid grinned, pulled in a chair and sat down.

" Adnan Sami Sir, I heard you are typhoid struck. How are you now? "

Adnan Sami was not at all in peace to have this dangerous future teller around.
" I am good. But, don't tell me you are here to ask my well being. "

Shaahid grinned.
" Why do you think no one can think good about you? 
And if you really feel so, why don't you change yourself? "

Adnan frowned more.
" I don't need your advice much.
Tell me what you're here for. "