Chapter Two

Shaahid walked behind Saajid through a short corridor after climbing some stairs.

They reached a door at the end of the corridor. Shaahid noticed four doors on either side.

Saajid opened the lock to the door.
" This is your room Shaahid bhai.
My sister Sakina stays in the room next to you. I stay in the first room of the corridor. "

Shaahid shrugged.
" That's fine but don't you people need privacy from me? Actually I'm a very shameless person and knock into doors around whenever I feel like. Also I do sleepwalking and I don't know where I'm heading to, at night. "

Saajid grinned.
" That's exactly what I want. You can go anywhere anytime. "

Shaahid smelled something peculiar. But he only smiled.

Saajid switched on the lights to his room.
Once lit, the room looked nothing more than one in some old shabby paying-guesthouses. He wondered whether these people were actually into running jewellery businesses or had gone bankrupt.

An old noisy bed in the middle. With some wooden dirty chairs at a side. A cupboard on the other. And a table against one of the walls. The walls had world maps on them with broken plasters and seepage stains.

Shaahid kept a smile plastered on his face though his eyes felt like they would droop down in sadness any moment.

Saajid maybe noticed and started rubbing his hands.

" We store money in banks. We don't believe in spending money on useless stuffs like decorating houses.
Old is gold. "

" I know I know. Wise men believe in saving. Only idiots like me spend money on buying broomsticks to clean rooms. Dust is a boon of mother nature and we should keep that intact. " , Shaahid said, running his fingers along one bid of the bed that pooled along a pile of dust.

Saajid immediately turned extremely serious. And Shaahid counted bad news. He should have controlled his tongue.

" Who told you we don't buy broomsticks?
There are many broomsticks. Some date back to my grandfather's times. Just that the servants don't do their job. They come and chat among themselves and do whatever little they wish to and leave. "

" That's sad. You should throw them out and hire new ones. " , Shaahid tried to sound empathetic.

" They are ten and I'm one. They will throw me out instead. " , Saajid made a sad face.

Shaahid stared with his jaw dropped. The human before his eyes seemed quite helpless at times, and quite angry at the rest. While being quite amicable in between.

" Why? You are the employer. You should decide whom to keep and whom not to. "

" I cannot. I once decided to shoo away the gardener because he had planted cactus just before the gate. "

" What? Why? "

" Because he hates me. I was injured. I fired him. He went away.
The next day the cook emptied a packet of salt in my custard. I fired him as well.
Immediately the maid poured soap water on the floor of the living room. I slipped and dived and landed on my left leg breaking it to pieces.

As I lay on the bed with a white slab upto my knee, the evil servants lined up and wrote on the plaster,
' Bring them back, otherwise you won't heal ever.'

The cook and the gardener returned that evening with shrewd smiles. "

" Oh my god that's sheer torture! What was your sister doing all these while? " , Shaahid faked surprise. Because he was truly never surprised by anything on earth.

" Preparing for her test next day. " , Saajid looked weak.

" I see. Does she have tests everyday? I mean today also she is preparing for one tomorrow. "

" She's preparing for a test everyday since the last eight months. Anyways, the servants hate me but love her. And she says nothing to those who love her. " , Saajid bhai gave a weak smile.

" That's natural. But what test does she prepare for everyday? "
Shaahid, when struck by something, couldn't let it go easily.

" A test that's never taken. Only she knows.
Okay, I'm tired and so maybe you. Will I serve dinner here or you'll come to the hall? "

" Errm... I won't mind coming to the hall but why will you in person serve dinner with so many servants around? They should be doing their job. "

Saajid heaved a sigh.
" They will do only what they wish to. And the rest, for whoever they love to.
So to get them work for you, you need to satisfy them. Or Sakina.

But owing to the reputation you've got, I believe you will get them dance to your tunes soon. And heal my sister in the process. Will talk to you later about that.

Wait till I call you for dinner. "

Saajid bhai left. And Shaahid kept standing in the middle of the room, trying to judge the situation and the inmates of the house. Things seemed weird, but when has weird been new to him!

Putting his stroller on the bed, he crouched below looking for a broom. And making his guess right for the umpteenth time, a broom lay decked with a layer of thick dust below the cupboard.

Pulling it out, and covering his mouth with a kerchief, Shaahid began cleaning the room with the dirty broom which on one hand cleaned and on the other messed up. Yet, he was determined to win because dirt was his biggest enemy.

__

" With whose permission did you get into my room? " , Sakina almost screamed.

Shaahid stood unperturbed, staring at the book that lay before her on the study table. A journal of some sorts. The woman beside it stared with angry eyes and stiffened jaws.

" My own. Actually was passing by. Saw you swaying back and forth like a palm tree and chanting like a priest. Babies study this way. "

" I can study whatever way I wish to. Who are you? "

" Just an inquisitive soul. What test do you have? "

" First of all I hate people who hate coffee. Secondly I hate mixing with bhai's aquiantants because they're mostly like him. "

" Oucch. Okay. Then for your good news, I am not only your bhai's aquiantant, but also your neighbor. Your tenant who has just shifted to the room next to you. " , he grinned.

She gaped coldly for a long time. Then pointed at the door with her head.
" Get going then.
Because I'm a bad neighbor. And an even worse tenant. And I hate intruders. "

She turned to her book.

And Shaahid kept smiling. Wondering, what on earth need to be healed in this attractive, fierce, and intelligent woman.