Chapter Three

Shaahid's beauty sleep broke into ninety three pieces with someone banging heavily on the door. He at first cursed the boy who used to bring him tea early morning in the mess, only to realise moments later while trying to pull open his eyes, that he was no longer in that small mess-room.

In the next instant, he found himself staggering to get down through the mosquito net, making all kinds of music in the process. He shot a deadly glare at the noisy bed, and reached the door somehow, opening it.

A woman, around twenty, stood, swaying her braid from time to time in air. Her expressions could not be judged.

" Yes? " , Shaahid said, letting out a huge yawn.

The woman now gaped him from top to bottom, shrinking her eyes, making him slightly (not very much) uncomfortable.

He cleared his throat, trying to divert her attention that wasn't very pure.

The woman now looked into his eyes and batted eyelashes.
" Heard you are the new tenant. That too, a free one. What speciality do you possess to get a free room in the house of the terrible miser Saajid Ali?

Except for the fact...that you are incredibly hawwt. "

She winked, and bit her lips in the process.

Shaahid had seen a lot of people in life, of different kinds and tastes. Nothing affected him to extreme extents. He smiled and yawned again.

" So are you! " , he said.

" Tell me something I don't know. " , she swayed her braid and herself a way too much this time.
" Anyways, your face makes me feel that we can be friends. "

" Of course. I'm everyone's friend.
So are you the maid who poured soap water in the living room and broke Saajid bhai's leg? "

" How did you guess even?
Whatever! My greatest pleasure that I could do it. Only Sofia has got the gut to do daring stuffs. " , she danced her brows.

" I disagree. It wasn't more daring than planting cactus at the gate. " , Shaahid felt extremely sleepy but he usually did not like ending conversations abruptly. Rather he liked to demotivate the disturber so that they left themselves.

" Ohh hello, Murshid did that under my instructions. He has got no brains of his own. Couldn't even fight for himself when he was fired. ", she twisted her lips.

" Chuck it. Tell me if your employer is so bad, why don't you guys leave? " , Shaahid yawned again.

Sofia now giggled. For a long time.
" Because he maybe a miser, but an idiot as well. Who will get such a workless job with a handsome pay somewhere else? "

" I see. Okay Sofia, I'm off to sleep again. Can we talk sometime else? "

Sofia's eyelids drooped in sadness.
" Ophho Saab!
You are new to this house! Aren't you interested in knowing more about the inmates? "

" I definitely am, but not more interested than sleeping. I'm a night owl, not an early aaaiseer... " , another gust of yawn swallowed off his words.

Sofia's eyes suddenly glittered.
" So, shall we spend the night together? "

" Let's hope for the best. " , he winked and closed the door on her face.

Shameless creatures were easy to deal with. They weren't hurt by petty bad manners.

Shaahid crashed on the bed again, making it shake so vehemently that he mistook it for an earthquake momentarily.

__

Ummid Miya did not look at Shaahid.

He stood before him for a long time now, but he kept on ignoring him.

Shaahid tried to judge the reason, then gave up. Now he sat at a corner table of Ummid's dhaba. His daily resort.

After a long duration of cash collection from the eaters, Ummid left the manager's chair and came and took seat before Shaahid, staring at him angrily.

Shaahid too stared with dull eyes.
" What's the matter Miya? " , he asked.

" What's the matter with you? Have you decided to not pay a penny to anyone on earth? "

Shaahid was not hurt, but startled. Yes, he never paid to Ummid as well for his three times food in the day, but the later had himself insisted upon that! 

Shaahid twisted his lips.
" I will clear your dues soon. I'll get a job today in all possibilities. "

" Shut up! I'm not talking of myself. But what good did it do to me that I took you to Saajid Bhai and won't even get a commission, because you won't pay him as well? "

Shaahid knew Ummid was not a very good soul. He just was a bit afraid of Shaahid, hence did not say a thing to him. The rest of his life ran on business.

" I've not insisted upon not paying. He has himself exempted me from doing that.
Anyways, don't worry, I'll still talk to him and get you your dues. "

" Please! I don't need illegitimate money. " , Ummid Miya got up and walked away, bringing back a plate of bread and omelet to him.
Shaahid was probably the only customer who was served by the manager himself.

" Trust me. It's not illegitimate. He needs something from me that's why he has requested me to stay for free. Now that does not concern you right? You should get your part. "

Ummid made a sarcastic noise.
" I know I know. He heard things about you from me. That's why. "

" I know as well, that you all are afraid of me. But he was talking about his sister. " , Shaahid took a bite of the bread.

" Respect comes out of fear. Look. I can bear your food expenses till the last breath. But I too survive on money. "

" True that. But don't worry. You are getting a lumpsome money by the end of this week. " , Shaahid cut the omelet.

Ummid's eyes glittered immediately.
" WHAAT?
Are you....are you serious? "

" I don't throw things in the air, you know that Miya. "

" Which means....today, 16th March, at 9: 20 am exactly, you are predicting that I'll get a lot of money by....the end of...you mean by 23rd?  "

" Mark my words. " , Shaahid wiped his face in his kerchief.

" Ohhh Shaahid bhai.... You are god, you are a savior, you made me so happy! " , he squeezed his hands so tight that Shaahid shrieked.

" I'm no god miya! You people unnecessarily consider me one and bear my burdens. I make very accurate guesses. That's all. "

Ummid miya was too happy to listen to all these now. He kept grinning unmindfully.

Shaahid got up.
" Anyways, I'll not have food at Saajid bhai's place. Feels awkward, when even his servants are calling me a freeloader. I'll come here just as I used to. "

Ummid nodded dreamily.
And suddenly, as if getting back to senses, said,
" You were talking of Saajid bhai's sister, right.

Beware of her.
As far as I believe, she practices tantra.

Ever since her teacher died in a car accident eight months back, she's has been seen talking to his ghost, sometimes in the roof of their house, sometimes at the corner of the street, sometimes sitting under the banyan tree in Central Park, and once, she even sat at that table in my dhaba, constantly talking to an invisible soul beside her. The entire dhaba had vacated soon. And we sat still and shaking at the same time, till she got up and walked away.

Stay away from her as much as you can. Though I don't need to warn you, you are a godly human. Yet I care for you, so.... "

Shaahid brought about no change in expression as he listened. When it ended, he only smiled and grabbed a handful of ajwain, walking down the dhaba to the road.

His next destination was Allah-Meherbaan Public School.