Chapter 56 Shadows of the past

Start from the beginning

"Do you think that is why my brother-in-law dislikes her? In Tirèze women do not have such freedom."

Byron chuckled again. "No, my dear, I do not think that is why. At first, eh, I thought she was much like Elora, but now I think she is more like Darius, eh. Headstrong they are."

Eloni blinked her eyes at the thought. She had met Darius several times and wondered what a female version would look like.

Byron laughed when he noticed. "I will bring you next time, I will. You will see for yourself."

Eloni smiled warmly. "I am already looking forward to it, though I must say I hope it will not be for a while."

Byron raised his eyebrow. "You are opposed to traveling?"

She offered him a secretive smile. "Only for a while. Perhaps eight more months."

A grin broke through on his face. "Is that so? Well, yes, then I think you are right. You should not travel. Are you certain of it?"

"Very," Eloni smiled.

Byron let out a joyous roar and scooped her up in his arms to kiss her fiercely.

...

"I hope you forgive us, my lady, for not being able to take in your refugees." Quintus Strega had a serious expression on his face. Flanking him was his heir Cassius. Vara estimated it wouldn't be long before he would take over from his father.

She inclined her head. "Of course, my lord. I understand. After all, I have witnessed firsthand the aftermath of the attack on Sylice."

"I remember well, my lady," Cassius now addressed her, "we are still grateful for the assistance you and the lady Ariane provided in aiding the injured."

Vara inclined her head. "It was the least I could do."

"We remember it fondly," Cassius assured her, "as does my brother Hector. He has married three years ago."

"I am pleased to her that," Vara answered, "I hope he is well."

"He is," Quintus replied, "though I have to admit, my lady, I was quite disappointed when you and my Hector parted. I would have liked to see the two of you wed."

"I was not the right match for him," Vara said politely, "it would have made both of us unhappy."

Quintus glanced at Iason, who stood calmly at Vara's side. A soldier with no noble blood. That was who she had picked. He would never understand it. "I wish you well, lady Vara," he said. He bowed at her and left with Cassius.

Iason wrapped his arm around her. "Are you alright?"

She smiled at him sadly. "I'm just fine. I would never have been happy with Hector. He meant well, but he wanted a wife that could serve as mere decoration."

"I know," Iason said softly. He remembered the man well. A good man, but at a total loss at how to react to Vara's free nature. "We knew there would be people that would resent you marrying me. It was only a matter of time before they would voice that opinion."

Vara locked her arms around him tightly and leaned into his embrace content. "I don't care about their opinion." The council meeting had ended a few days ago, but some of the lords had remained at court. Iason and Vara had also decided to stay so they could visit Euniece and Ethan in Dalós.

Iason planted a kiss in her hair. "I know. Come. We will take a stroll through the gardens before we are expected to have dinner with the king."

Vara smiled. "Where we first met."