Stand Back

Ethan

I watched as Ally twirled her hips to the beat of some trap song blasting through the speakers. Her little arms wiggling above her head as she let the music move her. Her words, not mine. She gave me a smile and nodded for me to come over and dance with her. "Absolutely not," I called immediately.

"Come on, don't be such a wet blanket," She groans and jogged over to grab my hands. I allow it with a sigh and let her lift my arms, swaying them to the rhythm. She looked like a little pixie in her goddess costume. She was wearing a long, thin dress that swept at the floor slightly. She pulled her pin straight hair into a complicated updo that exposed her delicate neck. Maybe I was getting a bit drunk, but I couldn't help but feel the urge to bend down and kiss the skin. She looked up through her eyelashes and I felt a surge in the pit of my stomach. Oh, I was definitely getting drunk. I felt my body start to fold and right then she gave me a goofy grin. In that moment, I was reminded who it was.

Ally.

My sweet, beautiful, silly best friend who deserved way more than my drunken behavior confusing her. I swallowed and played it off by whispering, "I'm not a wet blanket," into her ear. She giggled and gave me a shrug. I laughed and even spinned her around once to please her and prove I wasn't completely lame.

Which, luckily, worked. Her smile was even bigger when she faced me again. "So, are you having fun, WB?" She asked happily.

"A blast," I replied smiling back. Sure it was loud and we were surrounded by drunk idiots, but I was with Ally. She had a way of making every situation entertaining. "Don't call me WB," I added with mock seriousness.

"I knew that you would," She said with contentment, ignoring my statement. I rolled my eyes at her.

"I think I'm gonna go for a walk."

She stills and lets out a loud groan, "You're kidding, right?"

"I just want a beat. I'm starting to really feel all these drinks you've been pumping into me." I gave her a smile, watching her small features bunch together in annoyance.

"Fine. 5 minutes." She pointed at me with a very serious look, but all I could see was the adorable piece of glitter on her nose. She was so far from intimidating it was laughable, but I still nodded my head and gave her a salute.

I turned leaving her dancing with a Kanye look-a-like and made my way into the trails beside the open field. I could hear all the laughter and chaos behind me as I made my way farther from it. The sounds of irresponsible fun echoing in a distance. I took in the vast greenery and admired the beauty of simple, unbothered nature. The towering trees spread into each other, intertwining the branches together.

I felt the cool air brushing my skin and fell into a euphoria. I missed this feeling. Just a still in the air leaving you and your thoughts a chance to steady. I felt as though tonight was a great escape from my dad's continuous cycle of belittling me and destroying any peace I found. I hated that his words got to me the way that they did. I was worried that he was right about my internship. That I truly wasn't good enough for it and that I was just kidding myself here. for me to take control. If I was being honest I didn't know what I wanted or who I could be if it wasn't a writer. Nothing else made sense and I barely had that figured out. I mean, I never had a good example of man to follow. I can't help but be afraid that I'll end up just like him. Lost and angry at the world with no one to talk to but the bottom of a bottle.