Prologue

155(BC)

Arttis runs through the door, racing over to the book of spells. His lungs were screaming for air to travel faster in his chest as he stumbles across the room clumsily. There were clusters of books throughout the room that was only lit from the fires littering the ground outside. He could barely make out the podium in the back in which he was headed. He could tell that this once was a sacred room in the castle. Whispers of it's elegance seen through the high ceilings of stone and the gold patterned shelves that stood tilted from the ground. Arttis felt his heart squeeze as he took a millisecond to digest the destruction of his home. There was no time to be fearful, and yet all of his fears were dancing in his mind, taunting him with his every move. He is playing in a deadly race against the clock and there was no room for mistakes. And there was definitely no room for mourning.

Tracks of screams dripping in terror were stuck in a unbearable loop outside of the tall doors he had just ran through. Their cries for someone to protect them nearly drove Arttis mad. He wished all their pain, all their fear, could fall onto him. If he could only absorb the suffering he had a hand in creating, no one would have to be immersed in his mistakes. He'd only have to wait a few more moments before he could set his wish in motion. It all depended on now. This moment. And how the others fought for it. His shivering hand opens the book slowly.

The Elements Of Earth.

As Arttis flipped through the aged pages, the door whips open. He snaps his head to the door to see Bolina rushing through the doorway. Her red hair flowing down her back in tight crazy waves. The beautiful flower crown placed on the top of her head tilted to the right and some hairs stray away from the crown. The rebel curls spiraled in front of her terrified green orbs. Her eyes were wild as she walked the length of the room panting heavily from the fight she put to get here. "Arttis, we must hurry. He is coming and he's coming fast. If he finds out our plan, he will..." She trails off, trying to push the image away.

" He won't get to us fast enough," Arttis assures her. He continues his search in determination to keep his words true. "Where are the others?" He asked after a beat, not lifting his eyes.

"Gluacus and Hemithea are fighting The One Eyed Ones. It's getting worse out there. The creatures are all rising from Below. He had to have already broken the barrier. We are running out of warriors to counter the attacks." She explained pacing across the room.

"We knew this would happen, Bolina. That is why we made our plan. Why don't you grab the slate and start drawing the shape on the floor for the ritual." Arttis suggested to the beautiful woman in front of him. He thought maybe a distraction could help calm her fearful mind.

With a nod, Bolina moved to the cabinet at the far corner in the room. She opens the door, seeing the slate quickly. Moving to the center of the room, she worked diligently. It was a simple shape. A circle with two lines in the middle. One going horizontal and the other on top going vertically. Each end pointing at a direction; North, South, East, West. As she finished she couldn't hold her tongue any longer. " My love, are we making a mistake? If we fail, we will all die. Maybe we should..." She hesitates. Sighing, she finishes, "maybe we shoulds top this now. Before he has the chance to do worse to any of us," As soon as she voiced the question every one of the closest people in her life struggled with, it was as if a pin dropped. She knew what he would say. She knew what she must do. She knew it was her duty. But now, in this moment, she wanted to grab the man she loved and run to the other side of the Earth. Away from all the evil surrounding them. All she needed was his words, his steady hand to keep her brave. Her lovely green eyes stared deep into her one true love waiting for his guidance.

Arttis sighs a deep, shaky breath and smiles wearily. Closing the book, he walks over to Bolina. His strong arms wrapping around her small waist and securing her in place. He connected his eyes with hers and whispered, " We must do this for the mortals. They need protection from...him. We have to take this chance for them." He spoke the words the four of them repeated countless times to each other. Then decided to add to the vow. He knew she needed him and he wasn't failing her. He tightened his hold and leaned his head down.