Chapter 26: The Caravan

Clementine and Louis walked down the road, hunting for food. Since Gabe had lost his way and put his and Clem's life in danger, he was switched to patrol. That wasn't a problem for Louis, though. He'd do anything to spend time with his lover.

Louis clutched her hand as she concentrated on the road. She wasn't fazed, though. She just rolled her eyes as she shook her head as she maintained her focus on their surroundings.

"Come on, Lou, not now. We need to at least find food. Summer is just about over, and the food supply's becoming more scarce." She lectured, mildly removing her hand away from Louis'. He simply fake pouted and set a hand over his chest dramatically.

"Aw, are you tired of this handsome goddess already?" Louis trifled with that conceited simper that Clementine always despised. She huffed and looked away.

"Yes, actually. And I would appreciate if he would stop joking around and focus on getting food." She shot back, scowling at him. Louis' smile dropped when he realized how serious she was.

"Hey, what's up? You've haven't been this grumpy last week at all."

"I'm fine. Just leave it." 

"C'mon, you can't tell me." Louis tempted her, causing her to scrunch up her nose in annoyance.

"I said I'm fine." She responded a bit more harshly.

"Clem--"

Before he could continue, she let out a groan as she stopped and grasped her lower stomach. Louis turned around to face her.

"Clem? Are you okay?"

She didn't respond. Instead, she just shook her head, silently say "no". Louis stepped closer and held her shoulders. "What's wrong?"

Clem sighed in defeat. Was she about to tell Louis that she was on her period? "You're gonna act weird about it."

"No, I'm not. You can tell me."

"Fine. I'm-- I'm on my... thing."

Louis cocked his head to the side, unmistakably clueless about what she was talking about. (my ladies will definitely know what it is. )

"...Thing?"

"Uh... that time of the month..?"

Louis thought for a second and then widened his eyes in shock. "Oh... Oh!" He glanced back at her and smiled. "Don't worry about it, Clem. My sister had 'it' too."

The two continued walking. "Sister?" Clementine queried. "You had a sister?" She wasn't that surprised about him having a sister, but about him not telling her. Louis slowly nodded, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Yeah. Her name was Simone. My older sister." Louis revealed, a frown developing on his face. Clementine could notice his body tense up by the second as he began talking about her.

"What happened to her..?" Clem asked hesitantly. She promptly regretted it after seeing the look on Louis' face. 

Louis stayed quiet for a second. "It's a long story."

Flashback (8 years ago)

"Tag, you're it!" Simone laughed. Louis pouted as he crossed his arms.

"I don't wanna play anymore," Louis complained, sticking out his bottom lip. Simone shrugged as she walked up to Louis with her hands on her hips.

"Oh, come on, Lou. Don't be a baby."

"I-- I'm not a baby! You are!"

Simone let out a chuckle before sitting down on the ground. She patted the space next to her, indicating for Louis to sit. He gladly sat down beside her. Once everyone got used to the "walker age", Louis and Simone had gotten closer, meaning that they would protect each other no matter what.