Chapter 4: They're Coming

"What?!" Louis exclaimed. Clementine was taken aback from his sudden outburst.

"Louis, calm down-"

"Calm down?! The raiders are coming and you're telling to fucking calm down?!" 

"Keep your voice down."

"Sorry! I just- I can't lose anyone else." Clementine gives him a reassuring smile and places a hand on his shoulder. 

"I should go and tell Violet. We have to start defending this place if we're gonna fight off the raiders." Clementine starts to get off the couch but is quickly stopped by Louis.

"Clementine, you need rest." Clementine shakes her head.

"I think I can manage, Louis. I already feel better." Clementine starts walking to the headmaster's office.

______

Clementine opens the door to see Violet seated in Marlon's chair.

"Hey, Vi." Violet rises from her seat. 

"Hey, Clem. Anything wrong?"

"Actually... yeah." Clementine scratches the back of her neck and takes a deep breath. 

"The raiders are coming to attack us." Violet's eyes widen from the unsettling news.

"Shit... that's... fuck!" She slams the desk with her fists. "How are we going to stop this?"

"We can't. But we can make it hard for them to attack us." Clementine walks up to a window. "Look at this place- it's a fortress. With a little work, we can make this place really hard to attack."

"There was some barbed wire in the greenhouse. But no one really goes there anymore after the vegetables became unsustainable." Violet suggested. 

"Clem, you've been shot. You're still healing. You can't be running around fighting the raiders. We don't even know when they're coming."

"Violet, I am the least of everyone's problems. If the raiders come, they'll kill everyone."

"I know, but..."

"Violet! No buts." Clementine said sternly.

"That woman with you and AJ-"

"Lilly."

"So you do know her. What happened there?"

"I knew her when the apocalypse started. I was eight at that time, so that was the time when Lee was taking care of me. Lilly and I were in the same group. We were friends. When Lee wasn't around, she would take care of me. But later, her father died from a heart attack and she just lost it. She killed another person in our group in an argument. We left her behind and that was the last time I saw her. I never expected her to still be alive." Clementine cringes at the disturbing memories from when she was little. 

When Kenny killed Larry, when she had to shoot Lee, there were no good memories left. Just then, Mitch barges into the room with Ruby following behind him. "What the hell is going on here?! Everyone said that they were back. But I was like, no way. Violet wouldn't just go against what we all decided."

Violet starts walking towards Mitch while he backs away. "The raiders are coming to attack us, Mitch. We need Clementine. She knows more survival skills than any of us here."

"Bullshit! For all we know, she's working with them!" He says accusingly.

"They fucking shot me, Mitch! Why would they hurt me knowing that I was on their team?"

He stays silent.

"You're going with Clem to the greenhouse. We need to start building defense walls so the raiders can't attack us."