Scene 18 - 10 years later

Your POV

"3... 2... 1...". The trainer blew the whistle and I sprinted through the course, ahead of the other kids my age. You'd think I would feel happy and exhilarated about that, but my only focus was to get through this examination. I jumped over the logs around the field and I swung onto the rope to make it over a mud patch. I landed on the other side and ducked behind a wooden stand when the tennis balls were firing. I didn't get hit as I made my way forward, still not seeing anyone near me yet as I jumped up and smacked the bell at the top of the wooden stand. Finally.

I rested my hands on my knees and caught my breath as the others started to jog up to it as well, logging in their times on their records.

If you're wondering, this is a test. I'm training to become a detective. I may only be fifteen now, but I'm definitely going to have to keep working if I want the job when I'm eighteen. Me being the youngest in this group means that I have to train harder than them. They tend to pick on me a bit because I'm a 'showoff' and a 'teachers pet'. Of course, Hank has always had my back when they do start to go rough on me, and because he was once in my position being the youngest in the training course AND the youngest detective in Detroit. I aim to be like that one day.

I'm glad that he's stuck with me for the last few years, especially since......well......you know. Although, with......him.....gone, I didn't really have anyone looking after me full time. Hank is like a grandpa to me which is kind of nice, but I was basically raised in the DPD.

The good news is that the android revolution worked. Markus's message got across and the entire state is now accepting of androids, apart from the odd few whose opinions haven't changed. But overall, everyone is happy.

I ran to the lockers and got changed out of my training kit and into my casual clothes of some skinny jeans, a t-shirt and a (f/c) hoodie. I stuffed my other clothes into my bag and ran back out to get to the police department. Once I got there, I dumped my bag underneath my desk opposite Hank's and pulled out various piles of paperwork and files that I needed to revise for the next exam. This one being a practice investigation.

I waited a second to catch my breath, and when I did I simply took out my coin and flipped it around in my hand. It usually seems to calm me down. I got to work, analysing the clues given and adding notes in black pen on the sides of each paragraph. Occasionally I would completely zone out and just start drawing cartoon characters on a blank white page underneath the work.

Come on, focus (Y/n).

I pushed the drawings aside and read the notes. I realised some of the writing was hard to see so I looked over to the desks and in the pen pots provided, then my vision stopped on a desk a few spaces away from me. Curious, I got up and walked over to it to see if there was a marker I could borrow. 

Red, yellow, orange, green..... blue.....

I stared at the lid in the pot for awhile, not taking my eyes off it or saying anything. I reached out for it, but hesitated as the memory came back to me. I closed my eyes and sighed, knowing that I need to forget about it sooner rather than later. I opened my eyes and instead picked up the red pen next to it and walked back over to the desk in a worse mood than when I first got here.

A couple of hours past and Hank walked up to my desk, seeing crumpled up pieces of paper scattered all across it and my head face down on the work surface. He nudged my shoulder and I lifted my head to look up at him. "Oh, hey Hank. How was the investigation?" I yawned.

"Pretty good. Nothing too serious, but the damage to that building was extreme. The fire got up to at least the tenth floor, crazy fuckers and their fireworks".