Scene 11 - The Stratford Tower

Connor's POV

"Hello, Connor......I thought you might enjoy a little cruise.......".

I mentally prepared myself and approached the small, narrow boat that Amanda was waiting in. She was holding the red umbrella from last night in her hands and proceeded to look at me expectedly. I slowly sat down on the opposite side of her and picked up the oars. 

I rowed backwards and slowed down gently to look at the landscape. I continued rowing under the bridge while Amanda looked at the sky with a blank expression, either because she was too entranced by the autumn atmosphere here.......or because she was furious that I let yet another deviant get away. Not to mention I lost (Y/n) in the process. Either way, the silence between us was very uncomfortable.

"I love this place" She finally spoke, taking away some of the tension. "Everything is so calm and peaceful... Far from the noise of the world...". She then turned to face me. "Tell me...what have you discovered?"

I didn't know how to reply. To be honest, I couldn't really focus on the question anyway. I remained silent and Amanda must have picked up on it.

"You seem... lost, Connor. Lost and perturbed..." She said in concern. I stopped rowing and quietly placed the oars on either side of me.

"I apologise for my lack of communication, Amanda. But some events that occurred last night have led me to believe this investigation may be more difficult than I had first intended..."

She frowned at me and clutched the handle of the umbrella. "How so?"

I stared down at the water around us to avoid her glare. "The homicide at the Eden club. I had to find Lieutenant Anderson so I could accompany him to the scene. Though, that meant I had to leave the child alone for awhile". She continued to stare at me with a small but growing frown. "We investigated the area, but the deviant got away along with another android. When I went back to the motel that (Y/n) and I were staying in... she was gone..."

I finally looked back up at her, searching for any wisdom she could give me. Advice or instructions, anything! Instead she continued staring at me in silence.

"And Lieutenant Anderson. He continues to struggle with psychological issues... I suspect it clouds his judgement regarding deviants. It seems like every choice I make, good or bad, he's hostile towards me or reluctant to accept the fact I'm working with him. But now that (Y/n) is gone, I don't know if I can continue with this investigation. She should be the first person I think about, regardless of-" 

"Nothing matters more than your investigation." She interrupted sternly. I looked at her in surprise. Surely finding a little girl in a city full of deviants is of more importance. "What's happening is too important. Don't let Anderson, (Y/n), or anyone else get in your way".

_________________

AMANDA    ⬇

_________________

She decided to change the subject at hand. "You had your gun trained on those deviants at the Eden club".

I remembered.

"Why didn't you shoot?"

I started to worry. If she insists that these cases are what's more important, then I have to go along with it. For (Y/n)'s safety. If Amanda finds out that she has told me about the deviants behaviour and influenced some of my decisions... I don't know what would happen. I made an excuse. "We need the deviants intact for analysis. Shooting them wouldn't have taught us anything". Hopefully she bought it.

She looked me right in the eyes and spoke in a serious voice, slightly more viciously than before. "If your investigation doesn't make progress soon, I may have to replace you, Connor..."