Scene 3 - A place to stay

Your POV

I sat quietly in the chair as Connor and Hank came back to the desk. Hank seemed more annoyed than before but Connor looked no different. Maybe something happened while they were in the office. I hope it wasn't because of me.

Hank stood by the desk and started rummaging around in his scattered files. Connor kind of just stood next to him, watching him. I hopped off the chair and stood next to Connor as he asked what Hank was looking for. He responded with a gruff "Keys". 

I stood on my tiptoes and placed my hands on the desk, trying to help look for them. I went back on my heels when I couldn't see them, then looked under the desk when something silver shone from underneath a flap of paper. This office is messy.

I crawled underneath and grabbed the keys, getting back up as I brushed my knees off with my hands. I tapped Hanks side on his coat and held out the keys to him. "Here you go" I exclaimed happily. He still sounded grumpy as he just responded with a quick "Thanks kid".

I stood by Connor again, waiting for him and Hank to talk again or anything at all. Connor looked at him expecting some sort of idea or explanation. Hank just looked at him with the same glare. After a while he sighed and closed his eyes as he spoke. "One night. Then you have to find somewhere else, got it?"

Connor nodded and kept his hands to his side. "Understood, Lieutenant". He responded in a formal tone. I was confused at first, then realised that he was going to let us stay at his house for the night. Connor reached out for me to take his hand, so I took it and continued walking with them both as we left the building to get to the car. The drive was shorter than before and we stopped at a small, one story house, or a bungalow as some call it. It looked a little scary because it was night time but other than that, it seemed cosy.

We got out of the car and headed towards the house. Hank unlocked the door and stepped inside with us following close behind. As soon as we entered, Connor started scanning or staring at the room, either way his LED on the side of his temple was flashing yellow. 

I looked around and yelped when a large dog came out of nowhere and pinned me to the floor. When I saw him, he started licking my face and wagging his tail as I laughed hysterically. I managed to free myself from underneath him and get a better look at him. He was a REALLY big dog with a collar around his neck. He must be Sumo. I stroked his fur and he sat down in front of me. Connor seemed interested by the creature as well as he crouched down and stroked Sumo as well. He then stood up and stayed next to Hank, awaiting some kind of instruction.

"There's a spare bedroom down the hall that (Y/n) can use but, how do androids work with, ya know....sleeping?" Hank asked.

Connor responded. "Androids only need about 5 hours of rehabilitation during night time, and this should be achievable resting in your living area". 

Hank gave him an irritated look. "In English".

Connor thought about how to rephrase his answer. "I'll sleep on the couch".
Hank nodded and headed toward the kitchen, while Connor and I walked down the hall to get to the spare bedroom. We walked inside and the room was bare with white walls. Packed cardboard boxes littered the corner and a bed with an old bed sheet rested against the wall. It wasn't dusty but it definitely hadn't been used in a while. 

I scampered onto the bed and Connor sat down on the side of it without a problem, whereas I felt like I was climbing a mountain. I eventually crawled under the covers and looked out of the window. Connor did the same and his LED started flashing red and he closed his eyes. Oh no is he shutting down?! I started to panic.

Connor's POV

I looked around the dark garden, hoping to spot Amanda soon. She had contacted me and it sounded important. I walked around the centre of the place and stopped when I walked across the small bridge to get to the roses that grew along the columns, with Amanda examining them with a frown on her face.

She turned to me with the same expression. "Connor, I'm glad you're here. I need to talk to you". She gestured me to follow her as she walked back along the bridge. I did as instructed and walked alongside her as we 'walked and talked'.

"Connor, back at the Police Department. Can you explain what happened?" She asked with her hands behind her back professionally.

I recalled the events and explained the main ones. "Lieutenant Anderson stated what had happened back at the (L/n) house and stressed some issues to Mr Fowler that had occurred".

She looked at me angrily. "Not that Connor. I mean what happened when you agreed to look after that girl? Those type of outbursts were not programmed into your system, and certainly not decisions involving children. Is there something you want to tell me, Connor?". Her voice was venomous and threatening, so I was conflicted as to whether or not I should tell her the truth. 

I tried to avoid the question. "I don't see how it would effect the case, Amanda. I noticed a problem and I did what had to be done to solve it. (Y/n) wouldn't have anyone to look after her otherwise, and it is all androids responsibility to obey and serve the humans, as well as care for their well beings".

I could feel Amanda's stare burn into my skull like fire, and something made it clear that my relationship with her had decreased from trustworthy to doubtful. I was scared as to what she was going to say next.

"Do not let this distract you from the mission, Connor. You are our only chance of stopping deviancy for good, but you need to make sure to run daily tests and scans to ensure that there are no abnormalities in your software. Do you understand?"

I was reluctant but I nodded in understanding. "You can count on me, Amanda".

Your POV

I crawled out from under the covers and knelt next to Connor on the bed. I shook his shoulders gently to see if he would open his eyes and soon enough he did. I sighed a breath of relief and sat back down. He looked at me questioningly. "(Y/n), what are you doing?".

"I-I thought you powered down and wouldn't wake up. I got scared". I stammered.

He gave a small smile. "Don't worry. My software prevents me from shutting down, unless I damage or remove my bio component". He brushes his suit out of the way and makes the skin on his stomach disappear, showing a small circular compartment. I didn't know androids could do that!

"Woah". 

He looked at his chest again and wondered what I found so interesting. He then looked up at his hand and then the skin disappeared again, all the way up to his wrist. It looked so strange, but at the same time it looked so fascinating, and pretty. He held his hand out like someone would to give a high five. I slowly raised my hand to his but mine was significantly smaller. On contact,  the metal felt cold, much colder than a human hand would. He also had small, almost invisible blue veins streaming down it which gave a bright blue glow.

He removed his hand and his skin regenerated. I looked at him and grinned. "I didn't know androids could do that". I said in awe. 

He looked at me in confusion. "Didn't your old android show you?" He asked. 

I shrugged. "No, not really. He was usually busy or tucked away in his room. He didn't talk to me much. I don't think he wanted to be my friend". My expression fell and I realised that he probably hated me for some reason. I always tried to be friendly to him but he just pushed me away.

I think Connor started scanning my facial features as his LED was turned yellow and his eyes were twitching slightly. He stopped then spoke in a kind tone. "If it improves your mental state, I will gladly be your friend".

I looked over at him with a bright smile. "Really?"

He nodded. He then looked over at the clock on the wall and turned to me. "Now would be a sufficient time for you to rest for the night". He got up and made sure I was in bed, then he walked towards the door and switched the light off.

"Good night, Connor" I mumbled. I didn't think he heard me until he responded. 

"Good night, (Y/n)".