Thirteen | Sparring

Hey guys I'm back with another exciting chapter. This chapter will focus on Hiccup and Stoick, not to mention a really cool father/son sparring session. Since Book!Hiccup is good at sword fighting, I figured the movie version might also have some great sword fighting skills up his sleeves, which I incorporated in this chapter.

Anyway enjoy!

-JenniferTjandrajana

Early next morning, Hiccup was woken abruptly when his father barged into his room.

"Come on, up you get. We're going sparring." Stoick announced in a surprisingly cheery tone.

Groggily, Hiccup sat up, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He squinted at his father's retreating form, confused.

Hopping out of bed, Hiccup slipped out of his nightgown into his usual green tunic, fur vest and fur boots.

Raising his hands, Hiccup raked his fingers through his hair. He ambled downstairs, ignoring his grumbling stomach.

When he met his father at the front porch, Hiccup found him examining his well sharpened sword.

A strong gust of wind brushed past, its cold invisible hands blowing Hiccup's bed head.

Shivering, Hiccup wrapped his arms around himself.

Winter wouldn't arrive for another six or seven months, but since Berk was a desolate island up north, the weather was always cold all year around.

Though, in summer it did get warm, but there was still a cold chill that lingered in the air.

"Sparring?" Hiccup repeated, furrowing his brows in confusion. "Um, I'm not sure if that's a good idea-''

"Take this." Stoick tossed Hiccup a thin sword.

The younger Viking eventually caught the handle, finding it surprisingly lightweight.

Hiccup examined the sword. Scars adorned the metallic blade, worn out from the countless times it drove through enemies' flesh in epic battles.

A dragon's head was carved on the handle, its jaws gape open as if letting out a fierce roar.

Although Hiccup had no experience with using swords, he was fascinated by the style and intricate details of weapons. And in the forge, he found it satisfying whenever he sharpened swords or the sound of blades sizzling in the water before he pounded them back to shape.

Stoick then tossed a round wooden shield, painted with an image of a dragon engulfed in flames.

Grunting, Hiccup hefted the shield in his hands.

Thanks to his small weight, carrying both the sword and shield was a struggle.

Dejection formed in Stoick's sea-green eyes as he watched his son struggle to carry his weaponry.

A seed of doubt grew inside him. He hoped this sparring lesson would at least help Hiccup build some strength.

At the age of fifteen, Hiccup was small and fragile compared to his peers, who have gotten growth spurts ever since their eleventh birthdays .

Despite being born early, Hiccup's small stature was no excuse from stopping him to grow into a normal Viking.

At least Stoick hopes. With proper training and perseverance, there no reason the boy couldn't bloom from his awkwardness and small stature into a strong Viking leader Stoick hopes he'd be.

"Why are we..." Hiccup panted, struggling to keep up, "sparring? And this early in the morning?"

The sun was hardly up and wouldn't rise for another hour.