Six | Accidents

Hey guys, so I decided to update the next chapter sooner because I am so hooked to writing this story. Anyway, this chapter, like the other one has some angst and so many feels. You can tell Hiccup's life really sucks and nobody deserves to be treated that way.

I do warn you there is depiction of self harm. Yes, I am aware the Hiccup we know and love in the franchise would never do this. But in my au, he is struggling emotionally and he lets his demons get to him. Yeah, he is depressed.  But he is still sarcastic and can take an insult or two. And he will finally learn self harming won't do him any good

Enjoy this chapter :)

-Jennifer Tjandrajana

~

Ever since early morning, Hiccup had been working at the forge mending the villagers' weapons. Not that he had anything better to do.

Several days have passed since the last horrible storm. Though, the villagers were busy repairing their roofs and damaged walls.

Luckily, Hiccup's home hadn't suffered a lot of damage.  It was sturdy and could last the worse storm, and was perched on high ground.

Something the Haddock family was grateful for. Well, the family that's left.

Hiccup grunted as he hefted a pile of blunt axes and swords in his arms. He wandered over to the wheel near the fire place and sharpened the blunt weapons.

He wasn't going to have a break any time soon.

Outside, the queue of Vikings waited to get their weapons repaired.

Some grumbled, impatient by the long wait.

Hiccup assured them that their weapons will get fixed as soon as possible.

When he finished a great axe, one that belonged to one of his neighbours, Hoark the Haggard, Hiccup handed the axe to its owner.

Hoark's gaze fell on Hiccup's in disbelief.

"You haven't been causing mischief, boy?"

Hiccup shook his head, "N-No, sir,"

Hoark's gaze lingered for a while before he slid some coins across the counter and retrieved his axe.

"Learn to follow orders. For your father's sake. He has been through enough trouble,"

Slipping the coins in his pocket, Hiccup let out a sigh.

Leaning against the counter, the young apprentice took a breather.

Usually he would be focused on mending weapons. Yet, today he had been awfully distracted.

One of them was the conversation he had with Astrid that night at the Great Hall.

Their slightly tensed conversation replayed in his mind over and over again. He hadn't spoken with Astrid since that night, but Hiccup understood the Hofferson girl didn't want anything to do with him.

Her father didn't want her young shield maiden to associate with somebody as low as Hiccup. Asher was a barrier standing between Hiccup's friendship with Astrid.

Now he wasn't sure if they were friends or acquaintances at least.

Strangers; yes that was the perfect word to describe them.

Hiccup went over to his bench to pound a few bent sword blades back to shape.

He hadn't realised he pounded the axe too hard until he felt his fingers pressed against his hammer.