F I V E

Picture of Sophia:

Picture of Nicodemus (more stubble less beard):

Azemere = "As-Mer-Aye"

Chapter 5: Nicodemus

Sophia stared into her reflection, unable to recognize herself in the mirror. For the first time in years, her skin looked flawless, her hair was well groomed and her dress suited her pale green eyes and flowed to the ground. She was bewildered at how different she had become over night.

"You look lovely, dear." Lillieth's voice resounded, causing Sophia to jump slightly. She had forgotten that Lillieth was still in the room awaiting her. Before she could thank her for the compliment, Azemere came strolling in. 

She halted when she took in Sophia's appearance, "that dress suits you." She said, "But the King awaits, we must hurry before the Prince arrives. The King expects you to be ready to greet him for breakfast." 

Sophia thought Azemere looked lovely as well in her attire. It seemed everyone was expecting the Prince's arrival. "Thank you, and of course." Sophia muttered, feeling her anxiety begin to bubble at the thought of what was about to happen. Years of isolation had earned her social anxiety and she felt even more fearful of the Prince than she was of the King. 

"Alright, let's go." As Azemere began to leave, Sophia softly waved at Lillieth, "Good luck, Proelia."

Soon, Sophia found herself quickly following the steps of Azemere as they made their way towards the dinning area. From the open window, Sophia could see the King greeting a man who stood at a taller height. His face was a bit hard to decipher, but he looked to be in a serious conversation with the King. Although it was a small glance, Sophia felt as if her breath was knocked out of her at his intimidating appearance. He looked like a true King.

Sophia was then led to stand in an area, most likely in waiting for the Prince and King before she could be seated. In this moment, her heart pounded against her chest feeling her nerves get the best of her. This was the man she was apparently going to marry, of course she was allowed to be frightened. 

Azemere took notice of her nervousness and softly whispered as not to cause commotion before the King arrived, "Relax, you'll be fine. They need you; not the other way around." And somehow those words made Sophia even more nervous. "Why do they need me?" She questioned back. She tilted her head towards Azemere's direction hoping to get the answer she had been losing sleep over. 

"Azemere, I-" She was suddenly cut off from the voice of another across the hall,

"Azemere" Sophia turned her eyes from Azemere to the King upon his call for her attention, and instead of seeing the King's eyes, she saw the same man that she had seen through the window. Now that the prince was closer, Sophia got a good look at him with dark brown hair combed back that almost appeared black, and black calculating eyes. His eyes were like an ocean without bound; a pool of black obsidian. His features were sharp and looked almost near perfection. As he drew nearer towards them, the noticed a slight stubble on his face that somehow increased his attractiveness. She shuttered just at the feel of his presence which did not go unnoticed by him. It was like everything else was a blur and she could only see him. 

Once he was about a foot away from her, he stopped and stood tall in his demeaning stance. His aura omitted power and was quite hard to ignore, much like the King's or lack thereof. Suddenly it felt like she had lost her breath and her voice. "You must be Sophia, I presume." His voice so velvety and smooth. Without loosing eye contact, Sophia took a deep breath before she replied as to avoid shakiness in her tone, "Yes, your grace." She curtsied making sure to do it slowly so she could catch her breath. He swiftly swept up her hand and placed a sweet kiss on the back of her hand before turning away and walking towards the table.

"My name is Nicodemus, as you must have heard from my father." He said as he seated himself. Sophia, however, remained standing as she was still unsure what to do. Finally, he spoke, "Join me for breakfast." Sophia wasn't all that hungry, but she could tell that his "invitation" was not a question and was more of a demand.

As they sat across from each other, Sophia could feel his burning gaze on her as she picked and nibbled at the food. She felt so anxious feeling his gaze never wandering from her and made her feel self-conscious. "Sophia of the Cerbs. My father has told me great stories about your people." Nicodemus hummed. Sophia took that moment to look up at him, and found that he was staring right back at her. 

"Um- yes." That was all Sophia could mutter as she set down her utensils to continue conversation with him. "But I don't understand what all the praise is about, my people are nothing special." This was true for Sophia, she believed that with all the supernatural creatures that lived within the kingdom, the Cerbs were like commoners and that was why they were wiped out; because they could not defend themselves. It was a harsh truth, but it quieted her curious  and pressing thoughts about her heritage when she was young and believed to be supernatural and she grew up with that idea.

"Nonsense. You just have yet to learn about your ability." Sophia sighed. There was no way she could change his perspective. Just like the King, Nicodemus believed that she was some powerful creature. "I just do not understand why the King needs me. I didn't do anything." 

"It isn't what you have done, it is what you are about to do that has drawn his interest... My interest." His eyes gleamed and glazed with hopefulness and thoughtfulness at his words. His words... Sophia couldn't help but question him with the way he phrased the last part of his sentence, "why would you be interested? Wasn't it the King who chosen and summoned me?"

He then glanced at her almost playfully with mischief in his eyes, "I believe you are quite mistaken, sweetheart. It wasn't my father who had chosen you. It was me."

***

What could prince Nicodemus be talking about? Who is really behind this whole ordeal? 

Any idea what Sophia's "ability" is? Why would a bunch of hybrids want it?

Please: like, comment, share! Thank you!

xox, K. Haye!