Chapter Six

"Mother," I breathed, stepping in. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disobey you. But I don't understand . . . Why is Bella here? And father? Why is he in an ice box? Dead?"

"Your father was cheating on me Liam, he was a bad person. He deserved to die. I was simply protecting you from him, I had to protect you before he could hurt you," she said firmly, her gaze then flickering to you. "And this whore, she was cheating on you too!"

"But they were rumours," I insisted, my voice wavering. "You killed him . . . You killed father . . . And you were going to kill---"

"They deserve to die!" she yelled angrily and I flinched in fear. Her powerful voice echoed in the basement. "Liars and cheaters are bad people. Bad people need to be punished."

"They were rumours, Bella would never---"

"Ask her!" she shouted, pointing a finger at you. "She doesn't even love you. Didn't she send you that message?"

I scurried to you and cupped your cheeks fiercely. "Why did you send me that message? Tell me the truth, tell me that wasn't you. Tell me you love me . . . "

"She made me," you mouthed, your misty eyes daring to look at mother.

"Liar!" Mother spat in disgust. "She doesn't care, she doesn't love you!"

I could feel hot tears stinging my own eyes as I carefully wiped yours. I asked quietly, "Do you love me Bella?"

Silence.

You hesitated, I could see that. You didn't love me. You never did.

All those memories of you sitting beside me in class, defending me from the stupid bullies, holding me, kissing me . . . . All those memories were dirty lies. All those memories instead of freeing me, now suffocated my mind.

Tears flowed down my cheeks as I clutched the sharp knife and rammed it into you. "G-Goodbye Bella."