Chapter Four

I knew I was going to get caught by the authorities and disappoint mother sorely. After being thrown in jail, I would never get to be close to her. I would never get to meet you and show you how much I have done for you. I would never get to hear you say 'I love you' back.

I didn't know when I started panicking, but it felt like I lost control over my own body. My hands were trembling and it didn't stop even when I put my fist in my mouth and bit it hard. In spite of the heater in my room, I felt cold like tiny ice shards prickling my skin.

I wanted to hide somewhere safe, but I didn't know where, so I stumbled to the basement in a daze.

Mother didn't allow me in the basement, but I knew where she kept the keys. She would be upset that I took them without her knowing, but it wasn't stealing. I was only borrowing.

I pushed through the heavy door of the basement and blindly searched for a switch board. Click. The entire space flooded with harsh lights and I rubbed my eyes, slowly looking around.

The place was crammed with old furniture and I eyed them curiously. I had never seen them. I walked towards a glass box, fascinated by its size. The next moments were a blur as I stared in what felt like shock . . . Confusion . . . Dead body . . .

Father.

There was my father who disappeared three years back, freezing in the box. Dead and cold. Feeling deader and colder than me.

I staggered away and my back hit a wooden cupboard. There was a sudden creaking noise like the scraping of a chair against the floor. I whirled around and behind the cupboard was you, Bella.

I was too stunned to speak or move.