Chapter 18

Camila was sitting in a living room chair, legs curled under her, with a still steaming cup of tea just an inch away from her lips. This was one of those rare days when everyone was home and in one place. The house was bustling with little feet running in and out of the rooms, laughter and toddler giggles filling the air all day and into the evening. She replayed the images of Lauren chasing Gabe and comically looking for Julian during a game of hiding and seek even though the beaming child was in plain sight. It was a peaceful day that was ending just as it had started. Even now, she was calm and relaxed but her eyes were staring intensely at her wife who was laying on the floor on the kids' side of the room. The boys were using her side as a pillow as they watched their evening movie intently but Madeline was the one holding Lauren's attention.

Camila smiled and finally took a sip of her beverage as she watched on. Madeline was balancing on Lauren's stomach while holding one of the photographer's thumbs in each hand, grinning and laughing as Lauren made faces and playful gasps of entertainment. It was during moments like this that Camila tried to think back to what their lives had been like before they got married. She could remember moments of it, bits and pieces. She remembered the excitement of knowing Lauren would be coming over to her place for supper and the uncertainty of where the night would lead. She remembered impromptu adventures and walks, each one's entire length filled with conversation and debates, playfulness, and loving, flirtatious glances. But she didn't remember it feeling like this, feeling this complete. They had wanted a life together, one they would build from the ground up, and now they had it. They created a life and a family that redefined their every moment.

The brunette's smile deepened at the thought. This vacation would be good for them. "So, where are you wanting to go?"

Lauren did one more playful gasps and reveled in her daughter's belly laugh before turning her attention to Camila. Love appeared on her face. "I haven't really thought about it yet. Anything coming to mind for you?"

"There are many options." Her response was typical Camila, having already outlined and re-outlined after her first round of eliminations and then listing the options out in categories with a few subcategories if something stuck out to them. She was excited and hoped Lauren was too. "The setting is the first big question. Are we wanting beach, mountains, country, city, East Coast, West Coast, or maybe further south? Or maybe we can start broader with out of the country or in the states? Then there are also the options of resorts, theme parks, or even cruises. All of which have excellent child care for if you and I were wanting some time to ourselves. Which, I mean, of course, we do. This will be a time for all of us to reconnect."

Lauren just smiled at her as she basked at the moment. "I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you've been thinking about this a bit."

Camila abandoned her tea on the end table and motioned 'just a little' with her fingers before moving from her chair to sit on the floor by her wife. "I'm just excited. What about you?" She asked cautiously, not wanting to push Lauren away from the idea by consuming their lives with the topic. So she softened the question by reaching over and brushing a loose strand on Lauren's hair back into place, allowing her fingers to graze the side of her face. She had really come to appreciate Lauren's love of contact.

The photographer sighed a pensive sigh. She was excited at the thought of it but was fighting against being overwhelmed by everything that needed to happen before they could leave wherever they decided to go. "What about Michelle?"

Her facial expression gave her away, Camila hadn't been expecting that question. "Do you want her to come? We can invite her though I'm not sure she would be up for that. She may want the break from the kids and us."

"I was thinking that too," Lauren stated as Madeline left her for Camila and she motioned to the boys that she was going to sit up, allowing them to change positions. "I mean, I was thinking of mentioning it to her and letting her decide. She could come or stay with Normani."