The Quest: Chapter 51

Start from the beginning

Legolas finished the pipeweed and cleaned out the pipe as he knew Alannah always did before stuffing it into his tunic to bring along. He was ready to depart and begin sailing, but for some reason Legolas felt like today he couldn't. Something about this day. He felt as if there was some unfinished business he needed to tend to but he couldn't put his finger on what that could be. Legolas walked around their room, doing his best to see if there was anything else he needed to do before leaving. Finally his eyes settled on the rolled up maps on their desk, having not been used or read in ages. His eyes trailed over the map of Middle Earth, reminiscing on each location that he had fond memories of until his gaze settled on Dale and Erebor. Then, he realized what he needed to do.

"Combing your hair? Changing your clothes? What is the hold up?!" Gimli boomed as he stormed inside. Legolas quickly rolled up the map and turned to his friend, gripping the parchment tightly. "Gimli, we will sail but I must do something first. Will you wait for me?" Legolas asked quietly with his head hung low. Normally Gimli would have grumbled and cursed with being frustrated but as he looked at his friend, he nodded. "Aye. I will wait."

~

Alannah departed from Elarinya and Thranduil after some time, instructed on where she should go to meet Estë. She had no knowledge of the woman she was to seek council with and although in the majestic and beautiful lands of Valinor, her heart still cared little. Her pained heart weighed heavy in her chest as if she had been carrying a stone throughout all the ages of her life, completely and utterly overshadowing any good and happiness that she had experienced.

Her feet walked aimlessly as she kept her eyes downward to the ground, unable to look around at the lands surrounding her. A voice called out to her as she continued, barely looking up to see who was greeting her.

"Alannah!" The voice called for her. Finally she looked up, a tall and younger man clad in white several paces from her. Her head cocked to the side as she approached him, sensing something strange about the individual in question. He stood much taller than her as his dark blue eyes looked down, bearing into hers. "Alannah." He reiterated as he stepped forth, recognizing the pain she had carried for many years and long distance.

"You know who I am?" Alannah asked as she blankly returned his gaze. There was something about him, something that she couldn't put her finger on. The man released a deep sigh before his lips formed a deep frown, turning slightly as he waved for her to follow him. "It is my business to know who you are." He answered vaguely as she followed alongside him. "You've experienced deep loss, and heartbreak."

Alannah barely managed a nod in response as the memories of her life in Middle Earth flashed in her mind. Her parents,Boromir, Legolas, Gandalf, Oryn. Each name and emotion carved upon her heart deeply, stinging as she allowed herself to recall each instance of hurt. "Yes." She whispered. The man draped his arm over her shoulder and for some unknown reason, Alannah let him. A familiar comfort radiated from him as he directed her through many gardens and into a final garden that seemed to glow and radiate silver hues of starlight. A quiet and peaceful lake lie just in the center of the elaborate landscape, seemingly covered in tranquil shadows of the many trees that surrounded it.

"You're seeking Estë if I am to understand correctly." The man stated as he moved to sit on a large rock, patting the space beside him for Alannah to join him. She sat down beside him yet kept a small bit of distance, unsure of who he was or why he was with her. "I am, my husband's mother told me I must." Alannah looked down at her hands and allowed her finger to trace her gold wedding band, its gleam still as brilliant as it was the day of her wedding. "Are you my guide? Are you meant to take me to her?" Alannah finally asked, her curiosity finally having reached its peak. Her eyes bore into his seriously as she asked the question that had plagued her since her arrival. "Will you take me to my son?"