Chapter 12

We drove in silence for a while, not really sure where we were going.

I looked down at my hands. 'This is all your fault.'

"Hey..." Jane said, taking a quick glance at me.

I looked up at her. "Yeah?"

   She sighed. "I'm sorry I got you into that."

   I looked down again. "It's ok. Honestly, I should be the one apologizing."

   She took my hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze. "You don't have to apologize for anything. I chose to be with you, even though I was married."

   I let out a low sigh. "Maybe you made the wrong choice..."

   She looked over at me. "I don't think I did... you're an amazing person and I feel lucky to have you in my life. I've wanted a divorce for a long time and all you did was give me the courage to actually go through with it."

   I met her gaze, a small smile forming on my lips. "Thank you."

   She smiled before looking back at the road.

After a while, we ended up in front of my house.

I turned to Jane. "So... I guess I'll see you later then?"

She gave me a small smile and nod.

I leaned over to give her a quick kiss before stepping out of her car and waving her off.

My parents looked over at me as I walked into the house.

"Hey, sweetie, how was your weekend?" Marry asked.

I sighed. "It was ok."

'Yeah right.'

"Are you ok?" Vanessa asked.

I just nodded before heading to my room...

The next few weeks passed painfully slow after that. I haven't seen Jane since that day and we barley talked on the phone. She kept reassuring me everything was ok, but, deep down, I still felt guilty.

We both knew she wanted a divorce, but I don't think either of us wanted it to go down like that.

Jane spent most of the time finalizing the divorce and getting settled into her new apartment, so I didn't blame her for not talking to me much, but I really missed her.

I spent the time moping around the house, the events of that night playing over and over again in my mind. I thought of all the things I could've done differently, how I could've just avoided the whole thing all together. But, it was to late for that, what's done is done and I couldn't change it...

My phone rang out from my nightstand. I hurriedly answered it, hoping it was Jane.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, it's Emma, how're you feeling?"

I slumped back into my bed. "I'm good..."

"You sure? 'Cause I haven't heard from you in weeks." She replied in an accusing tone.

I sighed. "I know and I'm sorry. How about we get some lunch?"

"Fine, I'll be there in a few."

"Alright, see you soon."

I hung up before hauling myself out of bed and getting ready for the day...

I met Emma at my front door.

   "Hey." I greeted.

"Hey... So, are you gonna tell me what's been going on?"