Sam stares back at me so I mouth an 'are you serious' even if he is sitter next to me. But he doesn't bother making his voice small when he answers.

    "As serious as I can be. I have had a crush on you since the first time I saw you"

Wow! That was quite straight forward. But I don't have feelings for him. I am fluttered by fact that he likes me though, considering no one has asked me out yet. so I smile politely and text him back.

       Eeeww! I am not making out with you don't
        think going on a date first would be proper?

And then he replies;

         I don't do dates...

He is such a jerk! I mean how would anyone go from being so sweet and nice to being such a jerkass in such a short while? Creepy!. I mean I may not be getting a lot of attention and I may be abit scared that I am not getting any younger and if love never comes my way I might just end up like old and bitter aunt suzzy unmarried with my cats. But am not desperate enough to let sam who i dont even like use me like that.Why do most old and bitter unmarried women seek solace in cats? Beats me. Maybe I should ask aunt suzzy that one day.

I don't text Sam back and he doesn't text me either. 
To my dismay me and Sam end up having lunch together because Ash is caught up somewhere. There is an awkward silence between us so I break the ice.

"You don't do dates huh?" I start

"Pretty much" he says

"Why?" I am curious now

"Because I am not up for relationships I already have a girlfriend and a daughter" he states shamelessly.

"Really? Then why would you want to make me scream your name?" Its comes out harshly

"Because you are kinda cute. I wouldn't cheat on my girlfriend but if its you I would any day. So wanna make out later?"

Gosh! This man is unbelievable why would he feel comfortable saying anything like that?

"No Sam I wouldn't ever dream of making out with you!. Yish you are so disgusting oh and Sam if you and your girlfriend are still together its not fair what you are doing to her"

We get back to work and I mentally scold myself never to feel good if Sam ever calls me cute again. The day goes by pretty fast and before I head out I drop some paperwork at Walter's office. I find him on phone looking aggravated about something. I don't pick anything from his conversation because he ends the call as soon as he sees me.

   "Hey Liliana, I see you are already done"

  "Yes Walter am heading out now" I say

  "Do you have a car?" He surprises me by asking that

     "No" I answer frankly

       "Allow me to drop you off" he says catching me offguard. Why does Walter want to drop me off? Maybe he wants to confess his feelings for me. My heart flips a little. Maybe this day is not so bad after all. Walter is not a bad guy he is good looking and has an appealing personality. Me and him, him and me, I could live with that. When I step outside the building walter is already waiting for me next to a Porsche. I assume that's his car so I walk over to him and he opens the passenger door for me to get in.

There's a pin drop silence for a few seconds before Walters soft voice is heard

  "Liliana you know. I kinda like you" he starts. Wow! We are moving first and I like it. My day has gotten so much better and it feels like cupid finally remembers I exist. I cross my fingers and silently pray.. Oh God please let this be true love it feels so good to be wanted and it makes me grin sheepishly.

  "I like you too Walter" I say in a small voice

"You know, it will be so sad to watch you leave" he continues. Could he be anymore more sweet we are not together yet and he is already afraid of losing me but why would he say that? We've known each other for a few days yes but why would he think I want to leave. Does he have some skeletons hidden in his closet? I want to reassure him that I will be with him for as long as he wants me to but I think against it..

   "I am not leaving" I settle on that deciding its not bad enough.

"Yes you are" he says

"No am not. "

"Yes"

"No I am positive I will do no such thing"

"The company is experiencing some financial constraints so we have to lay off some workers especially those that have started working with us recently and you are the newest worker we have but it will be temporary once we get back on track we will get back to you if me or my girlfriend hear of something we will let you know... You know Liliana you are really clumsy and naive and I will miss that about you, you are also very....."

Crap! Did I just get fired and here I thought I had gotten myself a boyfriend. My thoughts trail off and all I can see are his lips moving. Why won't this man stop talking isn't it enough that he crushed my little heart? Did I hear girlfriend in that looooong speech he just made? You are so stupid Liliana and here you were thinking he could have fallen for you.

"Hey" I am brought back to reality by the snap of his fingers

"Are you okay?" He asks

"Yes am okay" I reply barely recognising my own voice. Walter explains that I have to go in the next day to clear my station until further notice. The rest of the journey is very quiet.

When I get to my apartment I lie on the bed feeling sad and confused. I can't tell my parents that I lost my job but if I don't get a job in the next one week I might need to go back home and apply for more jobs from there it will save costs. Its a two hour drive from the city to my hometown so its not that far I settle on telling my parents about it in three days time.

I scroll the contacts on my phone and stop at the name Mira. I miss her so much I haven't talked to her in three days she always brightens my mood. Me and Mira have been friends for long that guy that left me for her. She turned him down and it never created a rift between us. I miss her so much so I press the call button.

"Li! I am so sorry bestie I really didn't mean to not call you when I heard the news. How u holding up?"
Her voice comes through. But what in the world is she talking about?

"Hello to you too Mi. Am doing just fine what news are you talking about. I thought I told you before I left"

"No silly am talking about your ma's condition" she explains

"What about her?"

"Why do I get the feeling no one has told you this?"

"No one has told me. Are my mother and father okay?"

I can feel the fear in my voice and I am afraid of what she will say next.