46. The Fall

The plan would've gone completely and horrendously wrong if it was still in the daytime. They had managed to sneak by cliffside, where the sentries were most scattered and few. Barf and Belch had released the Smothering Smokebreaths, and with all the metal on the island, a great fog grew over the entire island.
Once the sentries were shouting to each other in confusion, trying to sound the alarm, Astrid and the gang leaped off their dragons and ran through the smoke until they reached an alley between two town houses.

Surprisingly, she turned to Tuffnut. "This is working, and I have to say it's because of you, Tuff. What's next?"

He scoffed. "What am I, a strategist?" Glancing around at the others who were staring at him, he gulped. Taking a deep breath, he pressed his fingers against his temples. "Fine, all I have to do is imagine that this is a prank."

"That our lives depend on."

"Quiet!" He snapped. He turned to Ruffnut. "Do you have it?"

She smirked. "Of course, I do. I always have it."

"Have what?" Snotlout growled.

The area they had reached hadn't yet turned to smoke, so they were hiding in the shadows as warriors set up blockades and chain fences, brandishing weapons at the Smokebreaths. That didn't end up too well for them, because the small dragons began stealing those too.

"Hiccup must've known by now that we've begun the assault," Tuffnut said. "We need to find Sin. Astrid, that's your job."

"Sin's probably on her way to Skye right now!"

"Then you don't have time to waste. Hiccup said that Skye is in the Palace."

Astrid nodded and brought out her axe. "Got it."

"Snotlout, you're the main man," Ruffnut continued as she read from her book.

"I am?" He asked excitedly.

"Yep." She snapped the book closed. "You get to be FireMan."

His eyes became wide in joy. "I have to set things on fire?"

"Even better. You're going to be set on fire!"

"Yes!" He suddenly frowned. "Wait, what?"

Ruffnut worked quickly to strap on a suit over Snotlout as he protested. After fitting a snug helmet over his head, she doused him with Monstrous Nightmare saliva. Tuffnut grinned. "If this works, I'm next."

"You don't know if this works?!" Snotlout squeaked.

Ruff smacked him. "Sure it does. It's made of dragon scales. Nothing to worry about."

Tuffnut grabbed Snotlout by the shoulders and looked deeply in this eyes. "This suit can protect everything. Except two places."

His twin held up one finger. "The ends of your hair-"

"And your special part between your legs," Tuffnut completed darkly. "Protect them well. They are a man's greatest assets, after all."

"So," Snotlout squeaked. "What do I do?"

"We'll drop you off. All you have to do is scream and touch things to set them on fire." Tuffnut's expression turned grim and cunning. "Bring chaos."

Even Fishlegs had to admit, Tuffnut was scary. The pure gleam of power in his eyes was frightening. And he used his mighty brain for pranks. "And what do I do?" He asked quietly.

Tuffnut brought out his weapon. "You and I are going to find Hiccup. You'll have to whistle for Toothless when I say so."

Tuffnut then nodded to his sister. By then, the fog had begun descending near them. The Smokebreaths had realized that they were carrying too much metal, and dropped some off over the Shruiken warriors, who were still struggling to understand what was happening.