21. The Head of The Dragon Hunters

Hiccup was in a greater mess than ever. After he had found that Skye went missing with her cave trashed, he couldn't control himself. His body was shaking and he was crying and panicking. Toothless was heartbroken when he saw his rider's condition, and managed to get him calmer.

He had taken whatever he could for safekeeping, he mounted back and rode to Berk. The whole time, he couldn't help but blame himself.

Hiccup let out a roar that just needed to be screamed out, just to reduce the weight on his chest. He sensed a feeling of déjà vu as his eyes flicked from one cloud to another. It was like the moments before the Drago battle, where his mother had appeared as a vigilante.

He looked to his left, wishing that a figure would drag out of the clouds like his mother did the first time. Only this time he wanted the person to be riding a Skrill. He sighed when he waited for a minute. He shook his head at his delusional imagination.

"What have I done?" Hiccup groaned out, gripping at his hair. "Why was I even angry at her? I made a big deal of nothing. If I hadn't yelled at her, she wouldn't have left."

Hiccup was officially losing it. Everything was piling on his plate like a full buffet. It was like the dreadful feelings were waiting for the right time to ambush him. He cursed himself, blinking back tears and sighing.

Until Toothless grumbled and smacked Hiccup with his ear.

Hiccup sighed. The only stable person in his life was Toothless. "What do I do now?"

Toothless whacked him again, but this time, Hiccup gazed in wonder. "I see why Snotlout keeps hitting himself for ideas. It seems to work."

Something sparked in him. He didn't truly understand what this new-found feeling was, but he knew his next step. "We're going back to Berk. And we're going to find out what this is." He held up the spear of the green covered arrow that was at Skye's cave.

Toothless let out a majestic roar and zipped forward with all his might. They were going to get Skye back.

Hiccup never considered that maybe Skye didn't want to come back.

***

Skye had wanted to explore the vast ship but Ryker had already warned her not to visit certain places. Her trust and loyalty was not earned yet. That was why they were going back to their headquarters, to meet Viggo. Sin and Wolf growled at any person who ventured even a foot close to Skye. They supported Skye in her decision to join the Dragon Hunters, but they didn't accept or be happy for it. Sin had the instinct that the girl didn't want to be a part of them.

Skye approached Ryker, who was leaning against  a part of the ship that was not protected by spiky rails. He sensed the girl walking towards him. "What do you want?"

"Insight. On Viggo."

Ryker glared at her, his bushy eyebrows pulled together. Her hand slowly strayed to the dagger on her thigh. "Whatever Viggo wants you to know, he will tell you. If you come to me again, I won't hesitate to-"

Sin growled, teeth bared. Skye petted her until the growl turned to a soft rumble. "Are you related to him?"

"I'm his brother. Now run along. I don't want to waste my time on you. "

Skye wanted to keep pushing Ryker, if only to see how tightly his brows could furrow, but she realized it was an opportune moment to sneak around the ship. So, Skye and Sinless trotted, leaving him watching them suspiciously. Halfway down the quarters, Skye realized that their Terrible Terror friend was no longer perched on Sin's head. A pit of dread formed in her stomach. That stupid dragon! This ship was full of hunters!