45. The Fight

"Come down here and fight me."

Aym was taken aback. "Why would I ever do that?"

"You're their leader. Show them you're better than me in every way."

"I don't need to prove myself to anyone."

"Are you sure about that?" Skye asked. Everyone could sense the threat in the challenge. And she was right. They all wanted to know who the superior one was.

Aym scoffed. "You're forgetting who's running the place. One word and I'll-"

Skye turned her back to him. She herded the children to Tye, who mercifully, nodded to her. He pulled out his sword to push back any stray warriors or trainers who dared come near the children. The smallest one, a girl with light hair and dirty cheeks, huddled at his legs. He used one arm to hold her back and the other to point the sword.

Aym rolled his eyes. "You've turned my Captain against me, too?"

"I'm not against you, sir," Tye replied. "But I agree with her here. They are still children. I won't let you harm them. And I speak for everyone here when I say, I do want to see you rise to the challenge."

"It's obvious what her plan is. She will use this to kill me."

"Only if she's better than you." The sheer disrespect in his tone would've warranted his death. Tye maintained a still expression, gulping, feeling the tremor of the children against him.

Skye nodded at him. It conveyed a message Tye needed to hear. You're doing well. I have your back if you have mine.

He nodded back.

Skye walked back to the ring of sand, and turned to Aym. Her words rung clear and mocking. "I'm going to raise the stakes."
She bent down, and grabbed Asmund's hair. Yanking it harshly, the man—who had finally become conscious— let out a drowsy guttural groan. His arm had turned black and blue, and his fingers looked terrible, but Skye didn't care. She pressed her sword to his neck, eyes never straying from Aym.

"If you decide that you're too cowardly to fight me," she cooed. "Then he's going to pay for it."

"What's he to me?"

"Your heir," she replied immediately. "He may not be much, but I'm betting that with that title, he tends to learn a lot from you."

Aym rubbed his forehead. "Enough with this foreplay! What's your proposition?"

She merely scanned the crowd, looking for a familiar face. And there he was. His face drained of color. "Step forward, Calder."

The crowd parted for him to shakily step through. Aym's brows furrowed as the beast of a man seemed to be trembling in front of her.

"Tell Aym what I'm capable of."

And Calder did. It instilled a sort of dread in Aym, and Skye could tell he was finally realizing that she wasn't just some puppy he could put on a leash. With or without a dragon, she was still dangerous. On the other hand, she could also see Hiccup step back. Away from her.

He'd probably hate her after this.

Once Calder had told the people of her power, she told him to go away. And he did. Everyone could hear the sheer power in her voice. She was surprised that no one had borne weapons to protect the heir, but they probably thought that she would slit his throat.

"I can gut Asmund in so many ways that he'll be screaming out every dirty secret you've got," Skye said. "But if that isn't enough incentive for you, would you like me to hurt your lover as well?"