14. HTTYD 2: Part - 2

Hiccup had tried convincing his father that Drago could be reasoned with. Stoick, instead, had ordered the island to prepare its defenses and be aware for a possible oncoming war. When Hiccup turned to Skye for help, he found her sharpening her knives and packing a quiver of arrows, strapping on more weapons than usual. "Drago isn't someone you convince, Hiccup," she replied, avoiding his incredulous stare. "I know that he's a mad man."

"You know?" Hiccup's voice lowered, advancing on her. "Where was this on the way back here?"

Skye stood her ground even when he was close enough to touch. "I didn't think you'd want to talk him out of it."

His lips pressed tightly. "It would've been helpful to know you actually had something on Drago. What was he like?"

"Chaotic." She focused on the tiny, white scar on his chin. It seemed so small and innocent compared to what the world could actually lash out. Compared to the marks on her back, but she wanted to know how he had gotten it. he didn't know either. "Unpredictable. He's not someone you talk to."

"Sounds familiar."

Skye backed away from him as if the words had slapped her. Had he expected her to side with him? She reasoned that maybe it was because she had always supported Hiccup, but when it came to Dragon, and Shruiken, and her past, there would be little to convince her to help him talk their way out of problems. She was not the diplomat he was. Skye was a fighter, a runner, a survivor. She masked her shock with indifference, fighting the instinct to draw out her hidden dagger. "Excuse me?"

Hiccup turned his back to her, exhaling sharply as he mounted Toothless. He briefly mentioned that he would return to the trappers' boat, not giving Skye a chance to speak up. Then, he bolted, Stoick bellowing after him. He and Gobber left, making sure Skye was busy handing out the weapons and calling out defensive measures for the island. 
Once she was done with her tasks, satisfied with her work, she jumped on an impatient Sinless and they soared away, finding the trawler easily. Sinless landed on the edge of the ship, tilting it precariously. Skye jumped down, her feet thudding on the wood. 

"Skye! What are you doing here, lass?" Stoick asked gruffly. He was facing Hiccup with Skull-crusher. The other dragon riders had cornered the men belonging on the ship. Eret was under the heavy head of Gobber's dragon. A pet.

Instead of replying, her gaze fell on Hiccup, whose lips were pursed tightly. They shared a heartbeat of a look that conveyed bitter feelings. Skye dismissed him and stood beside Astrid and their friends.

Hiccup's nose flared. He hated arguing with her, but sometimes, they just both needed space to cool off. He faced his father. He got on Toothless. "Dad, I'm going to change Drago's mind. If I could change yours, then I can change his, too."

Stoick grunted disapprovingly, staring as the pair took off to the skies. With a shake of his head, he beckoned Skye over. While she walked to a secluded part of the ship, Stoick ordered the others to fly back home and see to the island's lock-down. He said in a hushed voice, "I want you to protect my boy. He doesn't understand what kind of mad-man Drago is. it might seem like I'm going against him-"

"I know of Drago. He's an evil man out to get power. I completely understand. What about you?"

"Me?" He asked in surprise. "I've downed beasts twice my size and-"

"You're scared."

Stoick's voice trailed off, grey eyes training on her viciously. "What are you talking about?"

"In all honesty, Chief," she said, "you're scared. I know because....I am, too." And Skye really was scared. They were going to be battling Drago. And this time, she actually cared about people with their lives on the line.