Chapter Seven

Back on the helicarrier, Director Fury had me join him when they put Loki in the glass cage.

"In case it's unclear, if you try to escape, if you so much as scratch that glass," Director Fury was telling Loki as he was pressing buttons on the screen next to him.

The hatch below the cage opened, and Loki walked over to the glass to look down.

"It's a 30,000 feet straight down in a steel trap," Director Fury yelled over the wind. "You get how that works?" He pressed a button again, and the hatch closed. "Ant," he gestured to Loki, then gesturing to the button as he said his next statement, "boot."

Loki merely laughed and stepped back into the middle of the cage.

"It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me."

"Built for something a lot stronger than you."

"Oh, I've heard." Loki turned his head to look at the camera. "A mindless beast. Makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you, that you call on such lost creatures to defend you?" He turned around to look at me as he talked.

Director Fury moved to stand in front of me as he countered Loki.

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace, and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Oh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share. And then to be reminded what real power is."

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Director Fury scoffed and started walking away.

"Well, let me know if 'real power' wants a magazine or something."

Not long after Director Fury left the room, I turned and left to go to the bridge. I didn't like the way Loki had looked at me. It's as if he knows I'm a witch. But that's not possible, only Director Fury, Agent Coulson, and Agent Hill know that...

Agent Barton.

He has such good eyesight it's possible he could have seen something and kept it to himself before Loki came along. Who else may have heard that then?

***

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Doctor Banner was saying as I walked in.

Captain Rogers started speaking, "Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?"

"He has an army called the Chitauri," Thor answered. "They're not of Asgard, nor of any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth, in return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"An army, from outer space."

"So," Doctor Banner spoke up, "he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for."

"Selvig?" Thor questioned.

"He's an astrophysicist."

"He's a friend."

"Loki has him under some kind of spell," Agent Romanoff told Thor, "along with one of ours."

"I want to know why Loki let us take him," Captain Rogers stated. "He's not leading an army from here."