Chapter Five

Sometimes I don't know how I end up in these situations. I know I work at S.H.I.E.L.D., but still. We're on our way to the helicarrier, and we're with Captain Rogers. I don't know how Agent Coulson is acting so calm. Whenever Agent Coulson and I are traveling somewhere, he's always going on about "Captain America this" or "Captain America that." Unless he's giving me any information about the mission.

"We're about 40 minutes out from home base, sir, madam."

Agent Coulson and I take off our headphones and stand up. As we're turning to face Captain Rogers, he asks us a question.

"So, this Dr. Banner was trying to replicate the serum they used on me?"

"A lot of people were," Agent Coulson informed him. "You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

"Didn't really go his way, did it?" Captain Rogers asked, not taking his eyes off the screen with the Hulk.

"Not so much. When he's not that thing, though, the guy's like a Stephen Hawking."

When Captain Rogers looked up at Agent Coulson with a confused look on his face, I stepped in.

"He's a smart person," I informed him.

Captain Rogers looked me, nodded, then looked back down to the screen he was watching.

"I gotta say," Agent Coulson started.

"Oh, boy," I said to myself under my breath.

Agent Coulson gave me a sideways glance before continuing to talk. "It's an honor to meet you officially. I've sort of met you. I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping."

"Not creepy at all," I murmured to Agent Coulson while rolling my eyes at him.

I could tell that Captain Rogers felt strange about it as well, as he stopped making eye contact with Agent Coulson, instead looking at the ground. When Agent Coulson started talking again, he got up and walked past me to the cockpit.

"I mean, I was present while you were unconscious from the ice."

"You know," I cut in to stop Agent Coulson from talking about weirding Captain Rogers out. "It's a huge honor to work with you and have you on board this."

"I hope I'm the man for the job," Captain Rogers replied, looking out at the water.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely," Agent Coulson said to him.

"We made some modifications to the uniform," I told Captain Rogers, trying to get somewhat back on task.

"I had a little design input," Agent Coulson cut in.

Captain Rogers looked up and looked between Agent Coulson and I.

"The uniform?" he asked. "Aren't the stars and stripes a little old-fashioned?"

"With everything that's happening and the things that about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned," Agent Coulson told Captain Rogers before looking out to the water.

Captain Rogers looked at him and then looked at me before turning to look out at the water.

***

A little bit later, I saw the helicarrier come into view. We landed, and all three of us walked out.

"Stow the captain's gear," Agent Coulson told one the workers.