Chapter 20:

My sleeves roll up and my scars are out in the open. I quickly pull back hoping Dally didn't notice, but before my arm could make it all the way back his hand grabbed my arm.

"What the hell is this?" he asks in a harsh yet concerned voice. I couldn't help it my eyes just gathered up tears. I didn't dare let them fall, but it didn't matter they were there and Dally could see them. 

He rolls up my sleeve. His eyes widen even more "what the hell are you doing this for?" he asks anger now showing in his voice. I pull back my arm from his grasp and roll my sleeves back down "don't judge my choices without understanding my reasons" I say, my voice cracking. 

He turns me so that I am looking him in the eye "then help me understand, you have so much left to live for," he says looking in my teary eyes. I get up and start to walk away before he caught my wrist, "Gracie let me try to understand. If you keep things bottled up you'll explode. Trust me man I would know. I can't see that happen to you like it did me, so please Gracie tell me whats wrong."

His words hit me hard, and it brought me to my edge. I turn around and start banging my fists on Dally's hard chest. I squeeze my eyes shut as I continue to slam my fists on his chest. His hands try to catch my arms, but they don't stop me. 

I couldn't control what came out of my mouth "she's dead! She's dead because of me!" I yell letting the tears come down like a waterfall. I couldn't catch my breath and I couldn't think properly. My ears were plugged and I could barely hear Dally's muffled voice "Gracie what the hell are you talking about? Who's dead?" 

I completely broke down. My emotions have been bottled up for to long, the lies have caught up to me and now everything was crashing down on me.

I break down completely and fall to my knees, Dally catching me before my knees could touch the hard ground. He brings me back up, and wraps his arms around me. He picked me up and brought me back inside laying me down on the couch.

I couldn't do anything. I felt like a baby crying like this. I was embarrassed for letting Dally see me like this. All I could do was cry myself to sleep.

***

I jolt awake to the sound of thunder rumbling the Curtis home. It was still dark out and Dally was passed out on the recliner where Darry normally reads his newspaper. I notice that everyone was gone still.

"Dally!" I whisper yell, he doesn't answer "Dally!" I whisper yell a little louder this time. This time he wakes and sits up "what" he says wiping the sleep from his eyes. "Where is everyone?" I ask "sleepover at the lake" he responds with a husky voice that sent flutters through my stomach. 

"I look outside to see it pouring rain. Lighting occasionally strikes lighting up the dark night, and the thunder making the sound of rain disappear into a big booming sound that shakes the house. 

"Some hell of a sleepover" I say still looking outside. I turn back around to face Dally "why didn't you go?" I ask "well someone had to look after you" he says, the huskiness in his voice gone.

He leaned forward rubbing his forehead "what the hell is up with you anyway?" he asks looking me in the eye. "Nothing" I say bluntly knowing that it was a weak lie, "that's bullshit" he responds. I take a deep breath, if I was gonna tell anyone it would be Dally.

***

"... the pain makes me forget about everything, and as long as the pain lasts I can't feel anything else. It's like I'm free from all the bad memories and all the bad times. I just want to forget" I say quietly. 

Dally was quiet the whole way through listening intently, he was about to finally speak up before I cut him off "Dally please don't tell anyone." I say beginning to tear up again as I look him in the eye "I won't, but you should tell the gang. They care about you Gracie" he says looking up at me with mysterious eyes. 

"I know, and I will. I just need it to be the right time" I say looking down at my hands that were shaking. 

Dally got up from his spot on the recliner and walked over to the open spot on the couch. I take a deep breath as I try not to let anymore tears fall. I have shed enough tears.

I relaxed as soon as Dally wrapped his muscular arms around me pulling me close to his body. I know that it was probably because he didn't know what else to do, but it worked. It made me feel safe.

He pulled me down on the couch so that we were both laying down. Me so that I was trapped between the couch wall and Dally's warm body. I felt the tears fade away as I close my eyes and wrap my arm around Dally's chest. I calmed down and just payed attention to the sound of Dally's breath and the movement of my arm as his chest lowered and raised. 

I was barely awake when Dally started to shift from under me. He was soon all the way off the couch I was finally awake enough to say something "Dally," he stopped and turned around "can you stay with me?" I ask. I didn't hear an answer, but I knew that it was a yes because he climbed back on the couch.

He wrapped his arms around me once again and I put my hand on his chest I must've been really tired because I couldn't control what came out of my mouth "you keep this beating" was the last thing I remembered before falling completely asleep. 

*Two's POV*

We were just coming back from the sleepover at the lake, and I must say we have really bad luck for choosing the day it decided to pour rain. 

We were walking back to the Curtis house drenched. When we finally arrived we were all shocked to see the sight before us.

*Gracie's POV*

I slowly wake up the sound of "ohhs" and "awwes" I open my eyes to see a drenched gang pointing, laughing, and cheering at the once sleeping Dallas and I.

I quickly got up before Dally could awake and walked into the kitchen embarrassed. I could here the gang roaring with laughter as I turn around and tell them to shut up making them laugh even more.

I grab a drink of water as the rest of the gang begins to quite down. I heard someone walking into the kitchen. I turn around to see Darry walking over to me. I quickly finish my water and walk out the door. I did not want to face Darry right now.

I decided I would walk to the Dingo to get breakfast there. I got a seat and ordered blueberry pancakes. I had just finished eating every last piece when I realized I didn't have any money to pay for the meal. 

When I saw the waitress walking over with the bill in her hand I quickly bulleted out the door with the waitress calling for me to come back... like that ever works.

I finally get far enough away from the Dingo to were I could now walk. I didn't exactly know where I was considering I just ran, but when I heard a voice from behind me I knew that I shouldn't have stopped running. 

I didn't even have to turn around to know who it was "what do you want Reid?" I ask bitterly knowing full well what she wanted.