15. Chemical imbalance ~ NATE

It took Carl a while to respond to my message

At first, I thought he was ignoring me, which I was totally fine with, because it probably wasn't a good idea to get involved with him anyway, but then I realized he must have been busy—making videos or something like that. When he finally did reply, it was several hours past midnight (which told me a little bit about his sleeping schedule), though I didn't see it until the next morning. Right after I saw the notification on my phone, I subtly but quickly left the kitchen so I could reply.

Carl: Nate who? from the bar? sorry i get a lot of messages and you don't have a profile picture...

Me: I ate noodles with you and you said my eyebrows are a God-given gift

Carl: yes hi that's true they are

Carl: what's up

Me: I don't know why I'm messaging you honestly

Carl didn't respond to that. Not that I expected him to. It wasn't exactly something you could respond to. He waited patiently for me to keep talking, but I... I had no idea what to say. So I said the only thing that came to mind—the thing that had been on my mind for days.

Me: You're transgender

Carl: yes i am

And then I drew a blank again... What was I supposed to say? I mean, what did I even want with Carl? Why did I send him a message? Was I talking to him because I was interested in finding out more about the gender thing or because I was interested in him? Or both? Was he even interested in me, when we talked for several hours in the bar, or was I just imagining things? Was I seeing demons where there were none?

I dragged a hand down my face with a sigh.

Me: I have a question

Carl: yes?

Me: Why did you talk to me?

Carl: why not? i wanted to

Me: Why?

Carl: idk you intrigued me i guess

Carl: i wanted to get to know you and i kinda wanted to ask you out too haha

Carl: but i always have to ask... :')

Carl: is the transgender thing a problem?

Was it?

I wasn't sure what to think of it, honestly. I had to admit, it was kind of impossible to see Carl as a woman, even if I hadn't known what I now knew, because he was just so... not feminine. At all.