Reassurance

After about half an hour had passed when Jesse decided to leave the rooftop before anyone would noticed her missing.

It had took awhile, but the waning gibbous had finally set and the first orange rays of the sun shone radiantly as it rose slowly into the colorful sky.

Jesse was already up and gazing blankly out the large window. The bright orange rays of sunlight reflected in her dark chocolate colored eyes.

She was lost in her own reflective thoughts until she heard the door swiftly open.

She was greeted with a small smile and bright crystal eyes.

"Hey friend A," Lukas greet warmly.

Jesse smiled softly, her dull eyes lighting up.

She cleared her throat and said gently, "Heyo Friend B."

Lukas chuckled inwardly, opened his ebony bag, and quickly poured out a million books on top of Jesse's lap.

Lukas spoke gently, "I know how much you like reading so..."

"So you got me all these!" Jesse exclaimed with elation.

Lukas nodded and sat down beside Jesse.

Her eyes scanned the unfamiliar uniquely sized books.

"It seems like you brought me the whole library friend b," Jesse said eagerly, with a light chuckle.

Lukas took out a small pale blue notebook and a raven-colored felt pen.

Ever so gently, he handed the small notebook and pen to Jesse who glanced up at him with wide eyes.

Jesse slowly grabbed it from him and smiled even more.

Lukas was smiling broadly, seeing her smile made his heart silently flutter.

Jesse quickly embraced Lukas, her low spirits raised.

"Someday I will give back what you have given me," Jesse whispered kindheartedly.

"You don't owe me anything Jesse," Lukas replied, his warm arms wrapping around her.

Jesse let Lukas go and glanced at the unique books anxiously.

"Olivia said she'll be here in an hour or two. She said she wanted to get something," Lukas explained, mollify.

Jesse gazed up at him and their glistening eyes locked.

They were like that for a few moments, just gazing into each others eyes.

Jesse hastily averted her soft gaze and stared blankly out the window again. Her clenched hands were trembling, her straight teeth sinking into her rosy bottom lip.

Lukas was silent, his gaze filled with sympathy. She bit her smooth lip even harder before taking a deep exhalation.

"54 days," She mumbled.

"What."

"54 days until I'm gone," She whispered, her voice wavering.

"That's what your so worried about?" Lukas asked softly.

Jesse nodded slowly and attempted to steady her abnormal breathing.

"Don't worry about that Jesse," Lukas lifted up her chin, "Were gonna make each and every day count. And no matter what I'm gonna be by your side," Lukas stated firmly.

Lukas grasped her trembling hand and held it gently.

"Besides doctors aren't always correct Jesse," Lukas said warmly.