23. Anya

James Moriarty is looking down to the teenager kids playing soccer in the field below him. From the balcony, he felt like a God. Deciding their futures.

He used to be like any other man. Dreaming to build his own family. Have kids. He even has a dream job as a math professor in Ivy league campus.

Until a teenager boy shot his wife to death in church. Right on his wedding day.

The kid got sentenced to a mental hospital after that. He never got sent to prison for killing his wife. Thanks to his rich parents and smart lawyer.

The reason?

Because James has given F to his girlfriend in her last math test. His stupid girlfriend drunk and drive her car. The boy blamed James for her death.

James sighs.

He killed that kid. It's so easy to exchange his drugs with lethal ones. That's the first time he felt the thrill. For being a God. To manipulate others around him. To decide their future roles. Or in avoidable fates.

Live or die.

It depends on his decisions.

Anya is calling him.

"I miss you, love. Won't you join me for dinner?"

Something is wrong. Her voice sounds worried and nervous. This is no usual Anya.

James quickly replies, "Sure. The usual place. 8 PM."

"Okay. We need to talk."

The phone call ends.

James calls his pupils.

They quickly gather below him, waiting for his orders.

James says, "Congrats on your success. Those who passed the test shall earn personal bank accounts in Cayman Islands. The police couldn't track your money there. Are you ready to get rich?"

The future criminals below him cheer instantly. It's so easy to manipulate young minds. Crimes are like addictive chemical substance, the more you do it, the less conscience you have.

The police usually tracks down the money to find the culprit. That's how Holmes found the Wish Master.

Romeo is a smart chap. He is showing rapid progress under his guidance. Using another con man to talk to his brother is a very smart move. That man was also the one who made and planted the bomb on Joel.

The transparent wire is also Romeo's idea.

James goes to his car. The kids never see his face. Always concealed under Loki's mask.

The God of mischief is always his favorite villain. Cold and evil. Yet, he still loves his brother, Thor in his own way. When Marvel killed him in Infinity War, James wanted to blow up the theater. Anya only laughed heartily that night.

*****

Something is wrong with her. She's too nervous. Not her usual cheerful self.

James holds her hand and she shivers a bit. He asks, "What is it?"

"Oh, James! I love you. He couldn't be right. But he's Sherlock Holmes. He never wrong..."

"What did he tell you?" asks James when he walks to nearby table.

He pours two glasses of Merlot for them. It's her favorite wine.

She confesses, "That you're a master of criminals. Told him to screw himself."

James chuckles. He holds the glass for her. Anya's eyebrow twitches a little. She smiles when she grabs the glass from James' left hand. The one he's going to drink. Not the one he offered for her.

"Cheers," says her.

Their glasses click once before they drink their wine.

"Anya, I love you. Without you, I'd be trapped in darkness forever," says him.

"Oh, James! Love you..."

She collapses.

James grabs her before her dead body touches the cold floor. His tears are falling down from his cheeks like rain.

"Anya, I really, really love you. But even you couldn't stop my big dream."

He kisses her cold lips one last time. Before he lifts her up and then carries her to her bed.

He arranges it as if she's just sleeping. Not dead.

Time to wake up his boy. In this world, only two persons loved by him. Anya and Josh. He just killed the woman he loved. He couldn't loose his son too.

James rubs his Black Onyx ring. Beneath the stone, there is a small gap. Where he kept a deadly poison. The usual police toxic screen won't be able to trace it. Anya's death would be announced as natural death. The cause would be fatigue.

One last look to the dead body.

James whispers, "Goodbye, Anya. See you in Hell. When we meet again. Wait for me, sweetie."

He couldn't wake up Josh. So he lifts the little boy and carries him away.

Sherlock got into Anya's apartment ten minutes too late. James has gone and he took the boy with him.

He falls to his knees.

"Anya, told you he's a dangerous man. You wouldn't believe me..."

Sherlock has asked her help during lunchtime. But her love for James has blinded her common senses. She wouldn't believe a word he said. Even when Sherlock shows her little proofs he had.

It could be another professor. Not her James. Definitely not him.

She believed him until the end.
She believed the wrong guy.

Sherlock has felt something was wrong. His instincts told him Anya was in grave danger. He got here too late.

*****

At the airport waiting room, Josh asks, "Won't mom be coming too?"

"Son, she died last night."

Josh is crying loudly.

A reporter in TV is saying her deepest condolences to Anya's family. Apparently she died last night from natural causes.

The police has ignored Sherlock's statement that she was murdered by Prof. Moriarty. The case is closed. Anya died out of fatigue.

James kneels down and stares his boy's eyes.

He whispers, "Sherlock Holmes killed your mom. He made it look like an accident. I want you to avenge her death. When you have grown up. Understand?"

"Yes, father. I will kill him myself."

"Good boy. I know I could count on you. It's time we leave this old country. I have a special place for you. A place for gifted kids like you could learn anything. No boundaries at all. Where you could be specialist for your great talents."

James stands up again.

Sherlock Holmes is standing at a distance. Staring him with deadly gaze.

He got no solid proof on him.

The guy is too smart.

James mocks him by saluting him. He grabs Josh's hand and leads him into the departure gate. Their plane has arrived.

Latest score:

2:1
------------------------------------------------------

Anya is dead.
Killed by the man she loved. In James' mind, Anya killed herself.

James gave her the choice. If she believed in him, he would let her live. Her wine glass got no poison.

James' wine glass got the poison. Anya has chosen his glass. Thus, she has chosen death.

Please vote and comment:)