53. Sense and Sensibility

Start from the beginning

A little nervous, I'm plucking at my tie. It's late summer, temperatures don't drop below twenty-five degrees during the day and I have to go to town in my dark suit. I already feel so hot that I want to rip all my clothes off my body. 

A good ten minutes early, I enter the huge building. People are streaming in and out and make me really nervous. A young woman with a blond ponytail stands at the reception and smiles.

"How can I help you, sir?"

"Oh." I say in surprise. "Malik, Zayn Malik is my name. I have a ten o'clock appointment with Mr. Horan."

She looks in her computer, looks for my appointment and still smiles. Her false smile pisses me off. Nobody can just walk around happily all day. The permanent grin is chiselled in her face. 

"Please take the lift up to the seventh floor. Mr. Horan is already waiting for you," she says, smiling further.

As I enter the long, bright hallway of the seventh floor, a young man with glasses runs across my path. We could be the same age.

"Zayn Malik," he shouts and runs towards me. "The great artist himself," he snorts.

It would be a lie if I didn't feel flattered. Of course I' m happy about my popularity, so I grin at him and shake this guy's hand.

"My name is Horan."

"Oh, you mean we both have this business meeting?" I say in surprise.

"That's right. But let's go to my office," he invites me and points to a door.

Something is wrong. Why does he look at me so strangely? I have never seen him before. Weird.

"Well, Mr. Malik. I am a great admirer of your art. By the way, the vernissage was great," he begins the conversation.

"Are you interested in my paintings?

He nods eagerly. " Not without good reason did I choose you as a painter. Your portraits were simply stunning. The expressiveness of the colours ..."

His eyes are literally sparkling with passion. This Horan really seems to know something about art.

"Well, as I already mentioned on the phone, Mr. Malik, our publishing house would be eternally grateful if you could brighten up the entrance hall with your paintings. We know it won't be very cheap, but your work is worth every penny to us. It would be a great honour for us, so to speak, if you would agree to our offer. What do you think?"

"What can I say. I'm also honored, Mr. Horan, and I hope I do justice to your requirements. It's a pretty huge project, you know."

"Malik, an artist of international standing is afraid of a major contract? Please, don't worry," he replies. "Let's just take a closer look at the location, shall we?"

The business meeting went quite to my satisfaction and at the end we even chatted about my last exhibition that this young man actually visited. The expectations of me are high, I love that. The pay is also good. After a short tour we both agree and I sign the contract in his office.