Chapter 10: Talking Piece of Flint

I fear for what will happen if I ever conk my head on something

I fear for what will happen if I ever conk my head on something. The way my merry band of bandits is responding to our new-found member isn't giving me much confidence. Tink is pacing around in circles ringing her hands, Alvina is grumbling about how there's no way an idiot who can't stand is going to help us, and Mordecai is dragging an unconscious body all about like a rag doll.

"Hey there, grabby hands, stop dragging Sleepy all over the place! If he didn't already have a concussion, he's going to have whiplash from you yanking him about."

I cringe as he throws his hands up in the air and shouts. "Okay, Agni! I don't see you giving any suggestions." Let me emphasize that the hands the threw up are the very hands that were dragging along our dwarf.

Mel's little feet carry her surprisingly quickly to the aide of Sleepy. "Cai! You can't just drop him. Be careful!"

I roll my eyes as I head over to the heap of dwarf on the floor. "Look, I watch a lot of Grey's Anatomy. First things first, stop moving him all around. And uh, I think we need to shine a flash light in his eyes or something. But you guys probably don't have one of those do you? Hmmm... is there a way to shine a candle in someone's eye with out dripping wax in it?" I tap my chin thoughtfully while staring at his bloody head. "I'm sure there's something else we should do, but I'm not sure what it is." It's interesting to me that we have this whole group of people and none of us know what to do in case of a medical emergency. "Did these gods of yours leave us a first aid kit?"

A groan comes from the dwarf on the floor, a sign that he has regained some semblance of consciousness. "A clean cloth. Get a clean cloth." The bearded dwarf reaches for his head. He points to the table on the side of the room. "And the bottle of rum."

Tink hesitates. "I don't mean to tell you what to do, but is it wise for you to drink in the state you're in?"

"Let the man do what he wants." Mordecai stomps ahead of Tink and swoops the contents off the table. He walks back over to the dwarf's side and takes a long swig from the bottle. Tink gasps, Alvina holds the bridge of her nose, and I roll my eyes at him exasperatedly. He shrugs his shoulders and hands it down to our friend on the floor. "Sorry, it's been a long day."

The man grunts in response and pours the contents of the bottle on the cloth while Cai is mumbling about what a waste of rum it is. We all watch him silently as he winces when he takes the soaked cloth and dabs the back of his head with it before tying it around to cover the abrasion. He braces himself to get off the floor, but Tink is at his side in an instant. "Please, rest. Don't get up. You can speak to us from down there, we really don't' mind. I can get you a pillow! Or if you prefer, we can all join you on the floor. Whatever is easiest for you." The man looks at her, obviously speechless and overwhelmed.

His attention is drawn to Alvina as she says, "Speak for yourself fairy, I will not be laying on this filthy floor. Everyone knows that dwarves aren't a cleanly sort."