Chapter 9: Which One Do You Think He'll Be?

Mordecai and I hear rustling in the brush that causes us to shoot up and seek coverage behind a tree

"Mordecai, Agni?" I laugh, inwardly, at the fact Tink left out Alvina. Could this be an attempt at being passive aggressive? More than likely, it means Alvina has scared her so shitless that she's too terrified to even say her name.

Cai and I step out from our hiding place to see little Mel, arms overflowing with supplies. My eyes immediately go to the brown leather hat she's clutching in her doll-like right hand.

A feeling of annoyance spreads through me when I take in that I actually have to wear it. "Seriously Tink! Am I supposed to wear that? I'm going to look like Captain Jack Sparrow! And for what reason, just because your kind is too stuck up to realize the practicality of pants applies to everyone, not just those with a dick?"

Guilt instantly floods Tink's eyes. "I'm sorry. It was the only one I could find, and I figured that this would cover your hair well. I can always go back and look for another one if you'd like."

Instantly I know that I'm throwing a bitch fit and directing it toward the least deserving person here. "No, thank you for finding me one, Tink. I'm not trying to be such a brat, I'm just hungry and it's been a long day. Besides, this isn't a fashion show and a pirate hat fits the role of fugitive on the run. I bet I'll make a sexy ass pirate too." I strike an exaggerated pose in an attempt to distract her from the nasty attitude flung her way.

"Love-bug, has anyone ever told you how startlingly humble you are? I think it could be your best quality." Sarcasm coats every word of his statement. 

I respond like any mature, college educated, young lady would do and stick my tongue out at him. "Whatever, you're just jealous."

Throwing my hair over my shoulder, I saunter over to the pile of supplies in front of Tink. She hands me the hat and I reach down to scoop a loaf of bread from a basket she brought.

I examine the hat for a moment and realize that it may not just be the stress of the last couple days that triggered me. I think I am genuinely upset about covering my hair up.

Scratch that, I know I am genuinely upset.

Ever since I was a kid, my hair has been my favorite feature, probably because it was my dad's favorite too. When I was little he told me that I was his pint sized spitfire and that if I didn't watch out I would burn people with 'that fire red mop on top of my head'.

I've never colored it, it just seems like something he wouldn't want me to do. As I got older I was worried that that time had changed me too much and he wouldn't recognize me if he came back. But, if my 'fire red mop' was still intact, he would have to know.

I understand how silly that notion is and until now I haven't realized how intertwined my hair had become with my identity. With that in mind, I wrap my hair up into the hat and turn back to Mel and Cai. "How do I look?"