Changing the beast.

Jax P.O.V.

The past few days have been a wonderful vacation for Negan and I. I have loved seeing all my friends, but it's time for us head back home. Apparently, our men and Maggies are not getting along, so the building of the bridge is not happening.

I was sad, but maybe we can try another time. Maybe if we give people some years between all the  deaths, then maybe we can one day all be united.

A fresh batch of snow falls from the sky, layering the ground with its beauty. I love winter. The cold air, the whole world covered in ice. It reminds me of The Chronicles of Narnia. I loved that series as a kid, and I still do now. But mostly I just love snow.

I slowly turn under the large snowflakes, catching some on my tongue as they dance above me. The light taste of snow ignites my soul with delight. I feel like a child but part of me doesn't care.

"You should be careful. You could fall and hurt your baby, " Edith chimes next to me.

I slowly turn to face her, with a big smile etched on my face.

" I know, I just love winter. I always have. When I was a kid my dad would take us to his cabin in Michigan. It was like my own little winter castle. I'd spend hours playing in the snow.

I built snow forts, snowmen, igloos, and all kinds of things. My dad shared my love for snow, he would play in it with me. He was from Michigan, so he grew up with cold weather. My dad may have been busy with work a lot, but he did always try to show me he loved me. I miss him."

Edith's eyes begin to water, as she pulls me in for a hug. Her soft jacket tickles my nose, while we hold each other close.

" I miss my dad too. Well, both my parents, but mostly my dad. We weren't always close, but I knew he loved me," Edith replies sadly.

I tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear while giving her a small smile. I can't imagine her being so  young and  losing both parents.

" I bet they are both so proud of you. I know its hard, but one day we will see our parents again, " I say softly, as fresh tears fall down both our faces.

"You're going to be a wonderful mom Jax. I hope one day to have kids, and be a good role model for them like you are."

" I don't think I am good-"

" Yes, you are. You sacrificed yourself for Daryl. And you kept Carl and Judith safe after Rick died. You also rescued Michonne and saved your people from Simon. If that's not a good role model, then I don't know what is."

" You make me sound like a saint. I only did what I knew was right. I'd  do anything for the people I love."

" Yeah, I know. So, are you really happy with him?"

" With Negan?"

" Yes."

" I am. He has changed since I first met him. He actually loves me, and I love him. It's hard to imagine how I used to feel about him. I hated him for capturing us, and for killing our friends.

I also hated how he treated Daryl when he tried to rescue me. Negan seemed to enjoy making everyones lives miserable, but he started to change when Rick died."

Edith cocks her head, studying my face as I speak. Her soft eyes glimmer with amusement, as a smirk, spreads across her face.

" What's so funny?"

" I guess you could call yourself Bell, from beauty and the beast." She giggles.

"I guess so. I always loved Bell. She is a smart woman, and she loves to read. Since I practically lived in a library as a kid, I always felt a connection with her."

" Yeah, you tamed your own beast. Only yours  kills with a bat and not his claws."

" True, I hope one day he gets rid of it.  That bat still scares me sometimes."

" Do you think Maggie will ever be able to be friends with him?"

" I don't know. I hope she can at least be civil, but who knows. Maybe she won't be able too. I don't expect her to forgive Negan, but I hope she can tolerate him."

I look ahead, seeing Michonne running towards us. Large puffs of air escape her lungs, as he runs up to us.

" Aaron is hurt, we need you now!"

" Of course, I am on my way."

Edith runs, not bothering to say goodbye.

" Is he okay?"

" A herd came through, and a guy panicked. He caused a pile of logs to fall and one fell on Aaron's arm."

" Oh, my God! I hope he makes it. Should I go help her?"

" No, she can manage."

" Okay, well please radio me once he is stable. I will come visit him."

" He would love that. I need to go check on Judith. I will see you later."

" Of course, thank you for letting us come here. We will come visit again soon."

" Your always welcome here Jax."

" Thank you."

" How is your pregnancy going?"

" It's going well, I can't wait to meet my son, or daughter."

" I feel the same way."  I admit softly.

" I will see you soon."

" Of course."

I slowly walk back to the house, excited to be heading back home. I gently open the door, and see Negan holding our suitcases in each hand.

" I can help you with that."

" No, you're pregnant. I don't want you doing anything that could hurt you or our baby."

My eyes roll as a large sigh excuses my lips. I try to grasp the luggage, but he quickly pulls it way.

" Negan, I am not a china doll. I can carry things, " I huff out.

" No, you have had breathing issues, and I don't want you to stress yourself. You're my wife, it's my job to protect you."

" Fine, " I grumble.

" Are we ready to leave?"

" Yeah, I want to get home before dark."

We both climb into the car, then quickly turn the heat on. My cold lips begin to tingle, as heat blows life back into them.

" So what where you and Edith talking about earlier?" Negan asks as we drive away.

" Nothing, just about our parents. How much we miss them, and some of our memories."

" And about me." My husband spills out.

" How did you-"

" I opened the window in the living room, it was right behind you both."

" So do you think we are like Beauty and the Beast?"

" Well, your definitely the beauty, but I don't think I am a beast. An asshole yes, but not a hairy beast."

" I agree with that, " I confess between giggles.

" She is right though, about you."

I raise my eyebrows, confused by his words.

" Why do you mean?"

" You have tamed me. I am not as mean as I was before I met you."

" Well, then I guess I am changing the beast."

" Yes, you are."