The Iron

The dark lighting added to the atmosphere as I walked beside Negan down the main hall. Carl kept his eye looking straight ahead careful to avoid bumping into anyone that passes. I kept glancing behind me at Carl trying to reassure him that it's going to be okay, but inside I knew it wouldn't be.

Negan reached out to me and placed my hand in his gripping it possessively. I flinched slightly at his grip on my hand. The long hallway ends and opens up to a huge platform, that overlooks a lower level.  Negan looks behind him at Carl smirking.

" Watch this ."

Negan lifts Lucille off his shoulder and takes hard swings on the rail alerting them to his presence. The workers below scurry to their knees eager to not be punished for lack of respect.

My eyes go wide as I see a large dark furnace, with a blazing fire inside. My heart race quickness as I see Dwight lazily poking the fire with a stern expression on his face. The dark shadows of the flames cast an eerie shadow on Dwight's face making him look more evil to me.

The warmth of the fire increases with every step we take to the edge of the balcony. Negan stops,  turning  his head glancing at Carl. He holds the end of his bat lazily in his hand in front of Carl.

" Hold that for me."

Carl looks at me concerned but takes it quickly without a word. Negan pulls me with him as he approaches the crowd. He loosens his hold me then places his hands on the metal railing. Negan's face is full of annoyance as his lips part to speak. 

" You know the deal. What's about to happen is going to be hard to watch. I don't want to do it! I wish I could just ignore the rules and let it slide but I can't! "

My eyes brim with tears as I see the young man trembling with fear. His face is pouring with sweat down his chin as his whole body shakes in anticipation of the pain he is about to endure. Negan lets out a loud sigh.

" Why can't I?" 

" The rules keep us alive ." The crowd answers simultaneously.

My eyes meet Daryl's for a brief moment. I see him kneeling like all the rest in those dirty clothes he is forced to wear. Negan motions for me to follow him down the flight of stairs. My palms are sweating creating a slippery railing for me.

My feet take careful steps down the steep stairs until they meet the cold hard ground of the factory floor.  I notice the other wives I quickly stand by them eager to get away from Negan.

"That is right. We survive, we provide security. We bring civilization back to this world! We are the saviors but we can't do that without rules! Rules are what make it all work!"  He growls out.

His voice raises with every word he speaks making it hard to breathe. My chest rises and falls as my heart rate quickens in anticipation of the horror I am about to witness. Negan smirks at my uneasy demeanor knowing I am terrified of what's about to happen.

" I know it's not easy but there is always work. There is always a cost. Here! If you try to skirt it! If you try to cut that corner!" His face red with anger.

His body stiffens with rage as his eyes burn into mine letting me know he means every word. My body trembles with fear as my eyes meet his gaze. He smirks seeing this, knowing I am completely terrified of him.

" Then it is the Iron for you ."  Negan states as he chuckles darkly to himself. He moves his hand gesturing for them to rise.

" On your feet!"

The crowd rises without hesitation at their leader's command. Amber is resting her head on Sherry's shoulder as soft sobs escape her lips. Sonya is standing by me and Franky with her arms crossed over chest.

I link my hands with Franky trying to steady my balance. Negan walks over to Dwight who has stayed in his place with his head bowed low. Negan slaps the guy tied to the chair on the side of his neck as he passes him. Then moves   to the furnace. He takes a large heavy glove and places it over his right hand.

" D! Hand me that bad boy! "

Negan takes the clothing iron off its long metal hook. He smiles as he holds it firmly in his hands like a trophy.  The iron glows from the flames with a searing red glow. I gulpe as I soon realized just what is  happening. I  could never allow Daryl to suffer this fate. I would rather die.

Negan walks over to a quivering man as each labored breath escapes his mouth. His whole upper body trembles. Negan holds the iron dangerously close to the guy's face adding more anxiety to all in the room. My eyes glance at Carl and Daryl both trying to give me reassuring looks.

" Mark, I am sorry ." Negan states almost apologetically. " It is what it is ."

Negan then takes the iron and presses it firmly to Marks' face. Makes eyes squint in excruciating pain. He clenches his teeth trying to be tuff but that soon fails as each second passes. The smell of burning flesh fills the air with a sickly burning smell. Marks screams are the only thing that can be heard as Negan delivers the horrific punishment with a sinister smile etched on his face.

Negan pulls the iron away taking bits of    Marks skin with it. The tattered flesh clings to the hot surface like melted cheese between a sandwich.  Marks body finally goes limp as e passes out from the pain. Negan places the cruel instrument back on its hook then faces the crowd.

" That wasn't so bad now, was it? Jesus! He pissed himself!" 

Negan walks over to Daryl who is leaning on a mop. Negan leans in as his eye lock on mine ." Clean that up."  Daryl takes one last glance at me then does as he is told. 

" Doc, come over and do your thing."
An older man in white coat rushed over and tends to Mark's limp body.

Negan's gaze travels to all the people I the room not missing one.

" Well, the pussy passed out but it settled were square. Everything is cool. Let Mark's face be a daily reminder to him and to everyone else! His gaze lands on me as he says the last part."That the rules matter! I hope we all learned something today because I don't ever, want to do that again. " 

Negan walks up to  Carl and smiles.

" Some crazy shit huh? You probably think I am lunatic. "

He curls his finger at me causing me to move forward. His warm breath fans my neck as his lips graze my ear.

"That is what will happen to  Daryl if you don't behave the next two weeks.  I hope now you know how serious I am about this. No contact at all with him or his face sizzles like a fried egg on a hot sidewalk. Do you understand?" 

My breath hitched in my throat as I processed his words. The large lump in my throat seemed to have grown not allowing words to come. Small tears trailed down my cheeks as I averted my gaze from Daryl.

Negan placed his hand under my chin lifting it up in one swift movement. His amber eyes softened slightly as tears flowed down my face. He leaned in enjoying the power of this moment. I was completely submissive at this moment not daring to go against him.

" I think you do get it. "

His lips placed a gentle kiss on mine almost as a reminder of who  I belonged too. His arm wrapped around my shoulders as he pulled me closer to his body. His eyes then landed on Carl.

" Come on the kid, let's  figure out what to do with you ."