47; the forgotten

Start from the beginning

Arthur smiled, fading when he realized he did forget about it. "What are you going to make?"

Jude halted and peered at him behind his shoulder. "Just fish stew. It's your mom's favorite recipe of mine. She would say there's nothing like it."

Arthur was mum for a moment, thinking about what he could do to make it more special for her mother he hadn't seen for a very long time. "Should we give her flowers? Roses. Or carnations. Tulips, maybe." At this, Jude whipped his cheek to the boy with a rather closed-off expression, making Arthur jolt a shoulder. "Seen it on Reed's TV. Men give women flowers. Letters are quite nice, too."

Jude washed the fishes afterwards before turning to him. Then his eyebrows pulled together, his eyes turning somewhat dull. Arthur saw it but he didn't know what it meant.

"That would be nice, indeed. But flowers are expensive, kiddo. I'm sure your mom would be happy with the stew alone," said Jude in a gentle voice, wiping his hands with a towel far atop the sink. He then clapped Arthur on the shoulder as the boy jutted his bottom lip in slight disappointment. "It's true what they say that it's the thought that counts. When you grow up, you find a woman who's just like your mother. Someone who can accept you even if it's love that's all you can give." Arthur nodded when Jude leveled his eyes to him. "Now, why don't you set up the table first before your mother gets here, hm?"

"Alright."

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

His father had been sitting at the dining table for almost two hours. The food had turned cold; the candles were lit up just so they wouldn't have to turn the lights on to save electricity.

It was past seven when his mother arrived. A white sleek car had halted in front of their house, just as a woman stepped out of it. Arthur had found himself leaping out of the squeaky old couch by the window when he saw the newcomer and rushed to the door.

"Arthur," Edith breathed and they wrapped their arms around each other. "You're not a baby boy anymore. Oh, dear. Look at you!" She tilted his chin up, her clumps of golden hair cascading down her shoulders when she looked down at him. He was tall as where her ears were; one or two more growth spurt and he'd be a head taller than his mother. Her eyes averted from Arthur to look at his father behind him, gray flecks turning darker in her eyes as her expression shifted to a neutral one. "Jude," her voice was quiet. Almost a whisper.

Arthur sidestepped as his father walked up before practically smothering the life out of her. He realized afterwards about the lights so he reached the side of the wall to flick them on, before then enveloping the room in brightness that hurt Arthur's eyes for a moment.

"Come," his father said to her, dragging her further inside and into the dining area, "I've made you a fish stew. I'm sure you've missed it. Just give me a sec and I'll reheat it."

Arthur smiled in amusement, watching his father rushing to the table. And as he was about to get the pot

"Jude, it's okay." Edith hitched her bag higher up her shoulder in a hesitant fashion. Arthur's father frowned and she added, "I've already eaten on the way here. I justI need to talk to you."

His father nodded, putting the pot of fish stew back down with a longing gaze. But he gathered the fondest smile he could muster right after. "Of course, my love. What is it?"

Arthur had been looking at his mother. And as they heard the endearment, his mom had a slight twitch on her face.

Edith looked at her son, gently placing her hand on his shoulder. "Honey, will you give us a minute, please?"