Chapter 8

AN: Tell me what you think. :)

______________________________________________________

Chapter 8  

"What do you mean you mean you know?!" I managed to whisper loudly.  

"We had a meeting today, didn't we?" My dad said trying to reach for the bag of bread far behind the top cabinet.  

"So what exactly did they say about her family?" Alex said shifting a little beside me. We were seated at the counter chairs facing my dad who is now making himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  

"They said her family also came from far back. There are 50 to 50% chances that they can be enemies or friends."  

"What do you mean enemies? I can't consider my best friend since birth to be an enemy!"  

"Your dad did not say 'your friend' was the enemy. He could have meant her family only." Alex said as I rolled my eyes turning back my attention to dad.  

"Not exactly, Laurie has no trace of power, magic, in her. But then again, they could blossom in time."  

"Blossom in time?"  

"There are some witches who only inherit their powers when they are ready or capable enough"  

"Wait, so are you telling me that her family are also like us? She never mentioned anything about that to me."  

"Well she might have known nothing about it. I mean I suspected her to be entirely human when I saw her." Alex said  

I looked up at my dad wanting to ask more questions. "What did the order tell about her family?"  

"Well, their history is full of witches and warlocks. There is no surprise if she is one too. That and her family might be in the side of the Necromancers" my dad said informing me as he took another bite from his midnight snack.  

"Might?" Alex asked giving a slight laugh. "I bet they're already in the evil side, Cole's hands looked horrible earlier today."  

I glared directly Alex giving him the 'why the fuck did you tell that to my dad' face. My dad knew about the missing lady and the 'slight' burn on my hands. He did not know about how horrible the bruise was exactly.  

"How horrible exactly?" My dad asked suspicious. I had no choice but to show him my now at least bearable looking hand.  

My dad was observing it. He was saying things that were too low for me and Alex to hear about.  

"This can't be the doing of the ring." Dad said suddenly. "The ring could now have given this bruise." He continued placing his half eaten sandwich on a plate.  

"Too strong for the ring to give it? Wasn't the ring supposed to do that when an enemy is near?" Alex questioned also looking at my hand.  

"Not this bad. It was only to burn a little. This looks so much worse." Dad said squinting a little seeing my hand, which is now by the way, purple looking. I took my hand back.  

"The blonde lady"  

"What blonde lady? I told you guys to tell me the whole story." My dad said sounding more interested now.  

"Cole said her and Megan saw this blonde girl that claimed to be sent by Laurie to go looking for them." Alex paused. "She disappeared after"  

Dad became silent after a while with the mention of Megan's name. "The marriage would be moved earlier"  

"What, I thought you said not until the first few month of the year!"  

"Not for you and Syd, Megan."  

"Megan and Jake, they still refuse to answer up to each other." Alex said  

"And Jake told me the reason why." My dad said placing the bread back into the cabinet and the plate into the sink.  

"They're hiding something?" I asked in complete curiosity.  

"Are you going to tell us or not? I know Jake's been acting weird. I don't even think he slept last night."  

"Megan is pregnant." My dad said in monotone.  

The room went silent for a moment. Alex and I were processing what my dad just blurted out.  

Megan can't be pregnant! I mean she's too responsible for that. Well I mean Jakes too responsible for that to even happen! I was mentally screaming at myself. I can't process this. Megan should've told us. I know she would have. Was it her Jakes kid? Holy mac and cheese! It's not Jakes kid!? I hardly think that's possible though, she loves him. So this was the reason why she was crying last night at the so called party. Should I tell Syd? Gah, she's going to have to answer a lot of questions and receive tons of sermons for this! My mouth was in agape.  

"It can't be true; Jake is too responsible for that." Alex defended.  

"And Megan knows better!" She was 17; I know she understood that talk both our parents had when we were smaller.  

My dad sighed "I know they are both aware of the consequences. They explained they were drunk"  

"They got drunk?!" I knew I told Megan to control herself. I was spazzing out in a bad way. I JUST FOUND OUT MY COUSIN WHO IS 17 IS PREGNANT. Jake would have to have a beating.  

"That's impossible! Jake knows how to control his liquor!" Alex was also well aware of Jake being the responsible brother and boyfriend.  

"That's enough of explaining. You'll wake the neighbours and the others. We'll talk about this tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Megan and Jake would be happy to explain." My dad said a little annoyed with the defences. He went upstairs to my mom and left both me and Alex, still in struck, to turn off the lights.  

Alex sighed and got up turning the lights off in the living area and I turned off the lights in the kitchen. We went upstairs together.  

"Too much information in one day." I said breaking the silence my dad left us with.  

"Agreed." Alex said and then looked at me. "Goodnight." He smiled.  

"Night."  

"Hey, don't worry. Your dad said they had explaining to do"  

"Yeah" I managed to give him a small smile.  

And with that both of us entered our own rooms.